#1 badboy6070bce

badboy6070bce

Mr

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:Pen making and of course fly fishing

Posted 06 September 2016 - 04:17 PM

Hi guys..

I have seen somewhere how to set up a dial indicator but cannot find it.

How do you builders start the measuring procedure with you indicator??

2. The need to reverse the readings on our indicators must be addressed by someone cos I have also seen that somewhere.., not on this forum!!

Anyone solved this little annoyance cos I have started trying to read the time backwards.

My wife sez that great learning is driving me crazy. She may be right!!!

Regs

Chris from Yorkshire U.K.

#2 BGreer

BGreer
  • Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:49 PM

Chris,

I'm not sure about the solution of reading your dial indicator. I have a reverse reading dial indicator and it moves/reads in the proper direction.

As far as setting up the indicator and calibrating it, there are many different ways.

This is the method that I prefer: (I feel it has the least room for error)

Use two precision metal dowel pins of the same diameter. Place them next to each other (touching) on a flat surface.

Place the indicator on the dowel pins with the point resting in the crevice between the dowel pins.

The depth of that crevice is equal to the radius of a dowel pin, divided by 2, then multiplied by the square root of 3.   (1.73251)

So let's say you are using 1/2 inch (0.5) dowel pins.

The radius (0.25)....divided by two.....is 0.125.

0.125 multiplied by SqRt3 (1.73251) is 0.2165 inches.

0.2165 is the depth of the crevice between the dowel pins.

I like this method because the tip of the 60 degree point does not touch anything.

The tip on those points are probably not very accurate.

I think it's better than a "precision" drilled hole in a piece of metal.

I think there's too much room for error when drilling the hole.

I think its better than using a dial caliper opened to a specified amount and measuring the opening of the caliper.

Any error in the caliper/measuring will just carry over and multiplied later.

There are a lot of good builders here and may be able to offer some more answers.

Brian

#3 badboy6070bce

badboy6070bce

Mr

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:Pen making and of course fly fishing

Posted 07 September 2016 - 12:33 PM

Thanks for your reply Briabnn.
Ok nice data explanation.

Ok, so I can get a reverse reading indicator, no problem.

I start to set my form for a Sir D #4 tip.
My rod tip starts at 0.041.
I set my zero mark on my form bed to start then count the number or needle rotations as I lift it off. Next I put the indicator point in the v groove slowly and count the rotations it make. Deduct one from the other and should be correct.

Huh.., must be an easier way. What do you do Brian??

Regs

Chris from Yorkshire U.K.

#4 BGreer

BGreer
  • Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 09:15 AM

Chris,

What I do is put the indicator in the crevice between the two pins. From above, I know that this is 0.2165 inches.

Then I set the indicator to read .2165 inches. Now the dial indicator is set to read properly.

If you set the indicator on a flat surface, it will read close to zero....but not zero. The 60 degree point on the indicator likely isn't perfect.

Make a note of where the small dial, the revolution counter is on the flat surface.

Then you set each place on your forms to read the numbers for your taper.

I hope that makes sense.

#5 jsid6g

jsid6g
  • Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 10:29 PM

I am not  sure just what you want ? on Dial indicators, you have to pre load  them to 25 % or 75 %  travel depending on what you want , the first an last 25 % of travel don't count accuracies are the worst ,  the center 50% is the best  ;

some dial go from the right some from the left some are from the center , it all depends on how you set it up an what you want want to read,   the maker if the unit will give you any thing you want  , some dial indicators will only go about  240 deg others go 360 deg

where others will go 5 or 10 times around the scale it all depends on money to spend an what you want to measure, that is what I

I  know,   to  calibrate one,   you check travel, binding, sticking , an tracking  against known standards  across the full scale

an the tolerances will  change,  it all depends on money you spent on the dial indicator,       

#6 fishbum

fishbum
  • Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 08:16 AM

I am not  sure just what you want ? on Dial indicators, you have to pre load  them to 25 % or 75 %  travel depending on what you want , the first an last 25 % of travel don't count accuracies are the worst ,  the center 50% is the best  ;

some dial go from the right some from the left some are from the center , it all depends on how you set it up an what you want want to read,   the maker if the unit will give you any thing you want  , some dial indicators will only go about  240 deg others go 360 deg

where others will go 5 or 10 times around the scale it all depends on money to spend an what you want to measure, that is what I

I  know,   to  calibrate one,   you check travel, binding, sticking , an tracking  against known standards  across the full scale

an the tolerances will  change,  it all depends on money you spent on the dial indicator,       

Where did this come from?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users