Photo

PMQ taper - any recommendations?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Oldschoolcane

Oldschoolcane

oldschoolcane

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • Interests:Everything related to bamboo rod building & restoration.

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:27 PM

My nephew needs a fly rod, I don't have the time to plane out a normal bamboo blank. Was considering making a PMQ, but would like the rod to be a 7'9" 2 piece rod. I believe the PMQ thread says a taper can be figured based upon using a multiplier of .96 of the hex taper numbers? Anyone have experience with building a longer PMQ, in a 5/6 weight, any taper suggestions? Any ideas? What are some of the favorite 7'9" tapers?

#2 phg

phg
  • Members
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:13 PM

The conversion factor depends on what you want the final product to be.  Simply put, a quad will never "feel" the same as a hex.  They have different bending characteristics.  Anyway, to get the same mass as a hex rod, multiply the planing stations by .93.  The resulting rod with have the same mass (density, weight) as the original, but it will be a bit more limber when you go to cast it.  It's just the nature of a quad.  To compensate for this, some of us have experimented with other conversion factors.  I generally use .95, as that gives me approximately the same action as the hex rod, but in a slightly heavier (a few grains heaver) rod. 

As for what taper to use, take your pick!  Any hex taper can be converted into a perfectly usable PMQ, and make no mistake, PMQ's are great fishing sticks!  To get ideas, go to the David Ray Taper Library (part of Hexrod) and browse through the lists.  I should point out that most of the the Edwards tapers are classic quad tapers that don't require any adjustment.  The Edwards Favorite is a 7'6" 5/6wt., as is the Edwards 42. 

7'9" is kind or an odd size, but you can stretch a 7'6" or shrink a 8' by 3" in the grip without seriously affecting the action.

#3 Oldschoolcane

Oldschoolcane

oldschoolcane

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:35 AM

Thank you, I was considering the Payne 7'9" Parabolic Taper in the Howell book does anyone have any experience with this taper as a hex or quad?

#4 canerodscom

canerodscom
  • Members
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:47 AM

Thank you, I was considering the Payne 7'9" Parabolic Taper in the Howell book does anyone have any experience with this taper as a hex or quad?

Not as a quad, but as a six sided rod the one original and several copies I have tried have all been rather quirky.  I'm a decent caster and always found the timing on this taper tricky.  There may be a reason Payne didn't make many parabolic tapers.

A better 7'9" para in my opinion is the Young Para 14.

Just my $.02,

Harry

Harry Boyd
[email protected]
http://www.canerods.com
Heat Treating Fixtures and Ovens
(318)435-5476 home phone
(318)282-1825 Shop/cell phone

#5 Oldschoolcane

Oldschoolcane

oldschoolcane

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:04 PM

Thanks Harry, my nephew lives in Oklahoma and fishes the White River, maybe the PHY Para 14 would be the best for him fishing the tailwaters. I'll have to see if I have a clean taper. Looks like I have the Carlin PHY Para 14 Mod numbers, has anyone built a rod using this taper which is found in this forum? Is their another Para 14 taper I should consider?

Thanks,

Tim

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users