Photo

1 or 2 wt Recommendation?

5 replies to this topic

#1 River Rat

River Rat
  • Members
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Fly fishing, bamboo rod making, canoeing, educating kids about the natural world.

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:03 PM

I have a friend who is interested in a short 1 or 2 wt bamboo rod and I'm wondering if anyone has a favorite taper in that weight. By short he means in the 5 or 6 foot length. I see several on RodDNA and a couple in the books I have but I have no experience with this light a rod.

Thanks,
Cliff

Cliff Parmer

If it's worth your time to do, it's worth doing to the best of your ability.

#2 JW Healy

JW Healy
  • Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:55 PM

Hi Cliff.

Tony Spezio's Cripple Creek Special is a very nice 1 wt which also throws a WF2F nicely. The taper is in the Rod DNA data base. I have cast it a number of times and really like the action.
JW

#3 River Rat

River Rat
  • Members
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Fly fishing, bamboo rod making, canoeing, educating kids about the natural world.

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:19 PM

QUOTE (JW Healy @ Dec 19 2013, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Cliff.

Tony Spezio's Cripple Creek Special is a very nice 1 wt which also throws a WF2F nicely. The taper is in the Rod DNA data base. I have cast it a number of times and really like the action.

Thanks for the lead, and it was nice to meet you at the SRG.

Cliff

Cliff Parmer

If it's worth your time to do, it's worth doing to the best of your ability.

#4 draco

draco
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:00 PM

Cliff,

I have built a couple 5'6" 2/3 wt rods. Let me know if I can help with a taper.

Steve

QUOTE (River Rat @ Dec 21 2013, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (JW Healy @ Dec 19 2013, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Cliff.

Thanks for the lead, and it was nice to meet you at the SRG.

Cliff

#5 aracane

aracane

aracane

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:31 PM

There really aren't too many true 1 wt. bamboo rods out there. But there are quite a number of 2 wt. I have a very nice 6 ft. 2 wt. that I have built both as a 2 piece and 3 piece. The 2 wt. with a cork reel seat and butt cap and sliding ring really is a sweet rod for those headwater streams full of little cutties. And the 3 piece is very transportable.

Cheers!

Arne

#6 gosland

gosland
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:23 AM

Hey there Arne! Can't believe I just now saw this! Would you be open to sharing the taper you're referring to on the forum or via email if you prefer that? Sounds like a great little stream taper....

Gregg
[email protected]

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users