Photo

Trout rod restoration/repair

5 replies to this topic

#1 rsa

rsa
  • Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 05:34 AM

This rod came to me with the broken butt section.The rod is Calviello 7'#4 2/2 with bamboo ferrules. It is very light, In my hands is more a two or three weight... Tips are really fine, measured over varnish are 1,45mm just under the tip top. The node spacing is 3X3 on the butt and one of the tips.Tthe second tip has two nodes adjacent to each other. A mistake that can easily happen.. But the rod works as it would with a "normal" node spacing...

The breakage point..

mc74zlomljena1.jpg

I repaired the rod with adding a new piece by spliceing the sections.. Also made a new butt section from madake bamboo which has similar characterictics, like the bamboo Mr.Calviello used..I didn't bother to make an exact reproduction, the new butt is lighter in color and a tad stiffer than original.. The original grip is huge,..28mm in diameter, the new butt has a smaller grip. 23mm which is more suitable for my friend's(the owner of the rod) small hands. 

r :)

mc74popravljena1.jpg

mc74popravljena2.jpg

mc74popravljena3.jpg

mc74popravljena4.jpg

mc74popravljena6.jpg

mc74popravljena7.jpg

#2 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,686 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 04:52 PM

Great looking rod.  Is the sliding ring a metal ring and covered with cork?  Looks like a tedious job for something that narrow.  Thanks for sharing.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#3 rsa

rsa
  • Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 10:59 AM

Thank you John.On the new butt section the sliding ring and cup are made of stainless steel covered with cork.. On the original the rings are brass..

r :)

#4 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,686 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 07:15 PM

rsa, that is a mark of a custom rod.  My complements. :wub:

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#5 rsa

rsa
  • Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 04:40 AM

The "story" of this rod ended with repaired butt section, new butt and finally I was asked to make also new tips!! So the owner now has the original, well..repaired, not 100% original(to keep as Mr.Calviello seems does not make rods anymore..?!)....

Here are the photos of the "reproduction rod".. Cork quality is similar to the cork used on original. On the new rod grip and reelseat are made of used champagne stoppers.. The quality is not the best but as you can see ;)

atcalviellomadake74aa.jpg

atcalviellomadake74b.jpg

atcalviellomadake74c.jpg

#6 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,686 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 12:01 PM

Champagne corks?  That is recycling.  Keep up the good work.  Thanks for the story and photos.

John T.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users