Vintage Hardy Saltwater Rod

3 replies to this topic

#1 Deepfins

Deepfins
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:06 PM

Greetings Everyone,

I am looking for advice on restoring a vintage Hardy saltwater rod. I have no idea what it costs to pay a professional to restore a rod, but I am guessing that unless the rod has some value, sentimental or other wise, it probably doesn't pay. I have posted pictures of the rod at: http://s673.photobuc.../...rt=3&page=1
It appears to have been a custom rod presented to a member of the old Santa Monica Rod and Reel Club, back in 1936. It is difficult to make out the individual's name, but it is inscribed above the reel seat. The pictures I believe are clear enough to show the engraving on the butt cap, and on the reel seat. The number on the butt cap matches the number on the reel seat. When I found the rod, it was mated to a Pflueger Adams saltwater reel.
The rod must have been stored in a very hot environment, because the original finish has "cracked". The rod also has a nasty bend in it. All the guides and guide wraps are in good original condition. The rod is 7' long. Can anyone tell me the approximate value of the rod, and about how much it would cost to restore? Any guidance any of you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

#2 splinters

splinters
  • Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:45 PM

I'm afraid I can't answer your questions but if it is of any interest, your rod was made in 1927.
http://www.flyfishin...uring_dates.htm

S.
No sense in being pessimistic, it wouldn't work anyway.

#3 Deepfins

Deepfins
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:23 PM

Thanks for sharing that website, Splinters. At least I know how old the rod is, now.

#4 blairwill

blairwill
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:34 AM

You might want to post those photos on the Clark site. The classic fly rod forum. They'd probably know if it's worth it.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users