Photo

Orvis rod no model or serial numbers

7 replies to this topic

#1 Bloody decks

Bloody decks
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:35 PM

The blank is in good shape other than one tip has a crack in it the wraps are poor and one guide is missing. All ferrules are in place and tight. I want to refurbish this rod but don't want to hurt any value if any would like to know how to figure model at least. Thank you

#2 BGreer

BGreer
  • Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:26 PM

A picture or two sure would help.

The reel seat and grip especially. The color of the blank and wraps will help, too.

And how long is it and how many pieces?

#3 Bloody decks

Bloody decks
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:58 PM

bamboo_rod1.jpg
this is the first pic i am new at this and hope this is viewable. due to the size i have to upload the pics seperately

#4 Bloody decks

Bloody decks
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:06 PM

I can not figure out how the pics get posted so posted them in the photo gallery under rods and blanks pic names are orvis rod, orvis rod2 and orvis rod3. The rod is 8'6" and has 2 tips one of which is cracked 2" down from tip. Thanks for the help.

#5 kbproctor

kbproctor
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:21 PM

QUOTE (Bloody decks @ May 25 2013, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can not figure out how the pics get posted so posted them in the photo gallery under rods and blanks pic names are orvis rod, orvis rod2 and orvis rod3. The rod is 8'6" and has 2 tips one of which is cracked 2" down from tip. Thanks for the help.

There is a tutorial here. http://www.rodbuildi...showtopic=27348

It's pinned to the top of the "Lodge" forum.

Kevin

Colorado Custom Fly Rods, Ltd.

If your parents never had kids, chances are you won't either....

#6 canerodscom

canerodscom
  • Members
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:40 AM

If the rod is unmarked, what makes you think it's an Orvis rod?

Best,
Harry
Harry Boyd
[email protected]
http://www.canerods.com
Heat Treating Fixtures and Ovens
(318)435-5476 home phone
(318)282-1825 Shop/cell phone

#7 BGreer

BGreer
  • Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:40 AM

I took a look at the pictures you posted.

I saw the Orvis stamping on the band of the reel seat. I couldn't make all of it out.

Closer, clearer pictures might help. Close-ups of the wraps, grip, reel seat, and ferrules would help.

#8 rmargiotta

rmargiotta
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:29 AM

The Photo Gallery link isn't working right now, but from the other picture this is most certainly a 1940-45 Orvis rod, probaby varnished, but I will have to see closeup photos to be sure.  The fact it doesn't have serial numbers makes me think it has been refinished (poorly) at some point.  That is the old style seat Jordan used until ca. 1945 when the Halstead-designed "Battenkill" seat became the standard for the next 35 years.

I collect these early Orvis rods and they are surprising, especially the varnished models.  Here's a link to a recent discussion about a super rare 6 footer:

http://classicflyrod...hp?f=66&t=79692

Definitely worth restoring.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users