Photo

Need help Identifying this rod. PLEASE!!!!

8 replies to this topic

#1 Foamcrasher

Foamcrasher
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:50 PM

I could use some expert advice in helping me identify this rod. I was given this bamboo rod to clean up but want to make sure I'm not ruining a good rod. I know its in bad shape but I dont know what (if any) its worth. There isn't much to go on except the partial label on the butt section. Could anyone help me? PLEASE!!!!

I'm sorry there isn't much to go off of but this is the only picture I could get small enough to upload.

*Correction*...Thanks to Kevin for explainging how to load pictures!!! here are a few more to help. I will add some more soon!

*More pics added* Here are all the pictures I have. Hope this helps!!! Thanks again Kevin!!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20121016_203517_1_.jpg

#2 kbproctor

kbproctor
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:34 PM

Follow these instructions for uploading pics.

http://www.rodbuildi...showtopic=27348

Post pics of the grip, reel seat, butt cap, decal, and the largest ferrules.
Kevin

Colorado Custom Fly Rods, Ltd.

If your parents never had kids, chances are you won't either....

#3 Foamcrasher

Foamcrasher
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:21 PM

NOBODY????? Did I mention PLEASE? hysterical.gif

#4 CowDawg

CowDawg
  • Validating
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:39 PM

QUOTE (Foamcrasher @ Oct 18 2012, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Japanese. It has the Japan Logo. I do not know what brand.

Combination Rod.. Has the reversible grip to be used as a Fly Rod or a Casting Rod.

Edit added:

From what I've learned and have been told Japanese Boo is not of the best quality. They were made around the time of WW2 and sold in the Military PX's and usually came in a wooden presentation box.

But they do clean up and restore very well! I recently restored one this past Summer and donated it to "Project Healing Waters"....

#5 kbproctor

kbproctor
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE (Foamcrasher @ Oct 18 2012, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Answers will sometimes come slow on this board, but they will come.

The answer above is correct. Not much real value to this rod in a monetary sense, but it could be a lot of fun to rework and fish.

Kevin

Colorado Custom Fly Rods, Ltd.

If your parents never had kids, chances are you won't either....

#6 Foamcrasher

Foamcrasher
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:40 PM

You guys are AWESOME!!! Sorry for the short patients but my friend was kinda "on my back" about what it was and if it was worth anything. I never even considered it was a multi-functional rod. but that explains the hole in the but cap. I had a feeling it didn't hold any monetary value but ya never know. Thank you again I will pass it along to my friend. I am sooo looking forward to refinishing this rod and will post pictures when i'm done!

One more thing, At the tip section (about 4-5 inches from the tip) there is a break in the bamboo. Could you give the best way to repair that?

Thanks again guys!!!!

#7 roadking

roadking
  • Members
  • 2,858 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:13 AM

If you can manipulate the broken part back into place you can glue it together and wrap it with thread. After dry, take off the thread, clean it up and use white silk to wrap it and do a transparant wrap finish. I probably wouldn't fish it. What you see is the reason these rods are not highly thought of. Rods of better quality get broken also and there are some other methods to repair them but I just don't think this rod is worth the expense of a new tip.

Mike

#8 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,686 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:50 AM

I reworked one for a lady who wanted it for "Show & Tell" in her den. I didn't have to remove the reelseat, just cleaned it a bit and refinished the 'boo. Hers came with a case that was made of balsa wood- light as two feathers.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#9 MJAinKentucky

MJAinKentucky
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:20 AM

Foamcrasher ... My home club (NKFF) does rod-building classes for members and in the last few years we've been doing a lot of old bamboo fixer-uppers. Most are these Japan or Montague brand rods that came in kits like CowDog described. Most of them are 9-foot three piece (as far as the fly-rod configuration goes) and are heavy and unwieldy to fish ... so we cut them down into shorter rods (6' flea-rods if you only use the middle and tip sections, 7' or 7'3" rods if you don't mind having a butt section very much shorter than the other two pieces). All that is IF the ferrules are salvageable ... if not, we re-ferrule them with inexpensive modern ferrules. We usually salvage the rel seat and put new cork handles on them.

Here's a picture of one I re-did as an image project for our How to Cane-Wap Rod Handles instructions (another thing a lot of our guys like to play with).

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

If you'd like me to send you our bamboo rod fix-up instructions and "How to Cane-wrap Rod Handles" (both are PDF files I can email you) - drop me an email.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users