Photo

Need help identifying a 7pc rod

5 replies to this topic

#1 Fin chaser

Fin chaser
  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:11 PM

A guy stopped by my house today with a 7 pc cane rod. He would like to have it restored so he can fish it and eventually give it to a nephew. There are no markings on the rod that we can see. See pics in my next reply.
Thnx

#2 matt_a

matt_a
  • Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:38 AM

I'd have no idea on the worth or value of the rod or if i'd be worth "restoring". With seven ferrules my gut says its probably not but I could be way wrong on that.

As far as posting photos...easy. You need to use a photo share site like Photobucket. Its free to join. Create an account and hit the upload from computer icon. Select the file to upload from, e.g. "my pictures" and pick the pictures you want to post. They will be uploaded to photobucket. From there just copy/paste the IMG code under the photobucket picture (right click to copy it and left click/paste to paste it here) and the picture will be posted.

If that doesn't make since I think theres a pinned tutorial floating around here some where.

Matt

Matt
Bamboo blanks, rods, & components
Check out my building apps and youtube channel

albaughcanerods.com
[email protected]

~Rise Above

#3 Fin chaser

Fin chaser
  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:42 AM

I bought Sinclair's restoration handbook. Best I can tell, the rod is a Montague from the early 1900's? Ferrules have rolled welt, pinned, straight with serrations, wrapped up to ferrule, not over. Sheet cork grip, stepped cone winding check with two engraved lines. Any info you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#4 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,686 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

Love that reel! wub.gif

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#5 Pete Appel

Pete Appel
  • Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:50 AM

Your rod was called a "trunk" rod, as it was designed fit into a travel trunk or bag. Your estimate of age is about right - they went out of favor soon after 1900-1910. I don't see any intermediate wraps - check carefully to see if there is any "ghosting" to indicate them. Matt A is right, the advantage of the short carry length was more than offset by the large number of ferrules, usually making for a stiff, kinda clumsy feeling rod. Your rod appears to have two short sections - the 5th from the butt (probably due to a repaired break at the butt end of the joint) and the tip section (probably at the tip).

Restoration is certainly possible with the rod, but the cost would substantially exceed its value. You might go with a refinish and rewrap, which will make it fishable. Make sure the repaired ferrule is tight and straight on the rod - it's probably had its pin removed for repair. Lightly clean and polish the ferrules (both male and female), joint it up, and see if the joints are straight (I have my doubts about joints # 4 and 5, and possibly the tip). Make a map of the guide positions and intermediate wraps before you start stripping the rod. Cut off the wraps, scrape off the old varnish, clean the guides and reinstall with 2/0 or 3/0 silk in the appropriate color. Varnish with 2 coats over the wraps, and then 2 thin coats overall. Varnish the blank (2 thin coats) before you wrap the guides. Cleaning and polishing the hardware is at your option.

If this is going to be the first fly rod for the intended recipient, I think that a different, better rod would be less frustrating and more likely to encourage their further participation in the sport. This one is better left as a wallhanger.

Pete Appel

#6 Fin chaser

Fin chaser
  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (Pete Appel @ Nov 11 2012, 08:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your rod was called a "trunk" rod, as it was designed fit into a travel trunk or bag. Your estimate of age is about right - they went out of favor soon after 1900-1910. I don't see any intermediate wraps - check carefully to see if there is any "ghosting" to indicate them. Matt A is right, the advantage of the short carry length was more than offset by the large number of ferrules, usually making for a stiff, kinda clumsy feeling rod. Your rod appears to have two short sections - the 5th from the butt (probably due to a repaired break at the butt end of the joint) and the tip section (probably at the tip).

Restoration is certainly possible with the rod, but the cost would substantially exceed its value. You might go with a refinish and rewrap, which will make it fishable. Make sure the repaired ferrule is tight and straight on the rod - it's probably had its pin removed for repair. Lightly clean and polish the ferrules (both male and female), joint it up, and see if the joints are straight (I have my doubts about joints # 4 and 5, and possibly the tip). Make a map of the guide positions and intermediate wraps before you start stripping the rod. Cut off the wraps, scrape off the old varnish, clean the guides and reinstall with 2/0 or 3/0 silk in the appropriate color. Varnish with 2 coats over the wraps, and then 2 thin coats overall. Varnish the blank (2 thin coats) before you wrap the guides. Cleaning and polishing the hardware is at your option.

If this is going to be the first fly rod for the intended recipient, I think that a different, better rod would be less frustrating and more likely to encourage their further participation in the sport. This one is better left as a wallhanger.

Pete, I really appreciate your time and help. There is evidence of intermediates on several of the sections, two of which are indeed short. All ferrules are loose and need work, pins still present. The owner agrees that it probably isn't worth the time/money to make it fishable but he would like it to be a wallhanger and he was very curious about it's origin, make/model, worth, etc. Many thanks.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users