Photo

Any information on a builder named Bob Macklin

4 replies to this topic

#1 MytQuinn

MytQuinn
  • Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:30 PM

I just purchased a 7'6" Bamboo blank on ebay. The seller is claiming it is a Leonard #49-5 built by a man named Bob Macklin. The price was right so I'm not overly concerned, as long as it is as good as a Chinese import, but I wouldn't mind any information that could be shared. The seller also claimed that it was part of AJ Campbell's personal collection, which if true lends some basis that it might of decent quality. Any thoughts on it would be appreciated. I'll see for sure when it arrives, will mostly determine the quality of the components I choose for the build. dry.gif

#2 OSD

OSD
  • Super Moderators
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:30 PM

First take a look at the glue joints and see that they are all closed and tight, then look and see if the nods have been staggered, then if it is a ferruled blank check to see quality of the ferrule and the fit, then see if you can bend the tips without them taking set easily.
If it pass all of these criteria then you may have something.

Bob

#3 kbproctor

kbproctor
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:37 PM

You might go over to Fly Anglers On Line and see if anyone over there knows. If Al Campbell knew this guy Deanna (Ladyfisher) did, too. It is quite likely that several on the board at least knew of him.
Kevin

Colorado Custom Fly Rods, Ltd.

If your parents never had kids, chances are you won't either....

#4 MytQuinn

MytQuinn
  • Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:47 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely try Fly Anglers Online for some more information.

Received the blank yesterday; not a the hint of a glue line, nodes are nicely spaced, the butt is swelled just as expected for the model and the sections are arrow straight. Paid just under a $100, probably would have paid 3 to 4 times that had it been in a retail setting. Very impressed with the blank, so a little history would just add to the value in my mind. Ordered all the other components and looking forward to getting this built into a killer rod.

#5 canerodscom

canerodscom
  • Members
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

Try over at the Classic Fly Rod Forum. Mr. Campbell sometimes posts over there and could give you further information.

Harry
Harry Boyd
[email protected]
http://www.canerods.com
Heat Treating Fixtures and Ovens
(318)435-5476 home phone
(318)282-1825 Shop/cell phone

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users