Photo

Wright & McGill Graniger

5 replies to this topic

#1 blueline_junkie

blueline_junkie
  • Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:56 AM

I'm looking for a rod to restore and I'm watching a rod on ebay that is listed as a Wright & McGill Granger. Just wondering if this would be a rod to restore and fish or a rod to leave in it's original condition. The rod has all the original markings and pieces and from what I have read, was built in the late 40's to early 50's after Wright & McGill bought Granger.
"There is no bigger fan of the fly fisherman, than the worm!"

#2 canerodscom

canerodscom
  • Members
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:22 AM

No reason not to give that rod a try, but be aware that Grangers are kinda strange to work with. First the threads are very difficult to find and expensive when you do find them. Second is the unique coloration of Grangers. Steve Kiley is one of the very few I have found who have that color down pat. Finally, the Granger rods have some collectable value so it's possible that a poor restoration can make the rod worth less than just leaving it alone.

Harry (who just went through all this on a Granger himself)

QUOTE (blueline_junkie @ Feb 29 2012, 06:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm looking for a rod to restore and I'm watching a rod on ebay that is listed as a Wright & McGill Granger. Just wondering if this would be a rod to restore and fish or a rod to leave in it's original condition. The rod has all the original markings and pieces and from what I have read, was built in the late 40's to early 50's after Wright & McGill bought Granger.

Harry Boyd
[email protected]
http://www.canerods.com
Heat Treating Fixtures and Ovens
(318)435-5476 home phone
(318)282-1825 Shop/cell phone

#3 roadking

roadking
  • Members
  • 2,858 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:34 AM

Ha Ha, the voice of RECENT experience! Love that! I'd like to get ahold of one of those rods some day.

Mike

#4 blueline_junkie

blueline_junkie
  • Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:02 PM

It must be a good one seeing as how the price is going up fast.
"There is no bigger fan of the fly fisherman, than the worm!"

#5 Eastslope

Eastslope
  • Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:16 PM

I agree with what Harry had to say. Authentic thread (Rice's) is expensive, but can be had. If you are restoring a Granger Special you likely won't find Rice's authentic anyway but there are a number of sources for Belding & Corticelli replacement - and it's not that expensive.
If you are new to restoration and plan on keeping the rod to fish, then have at it - restore away as use the rod as they are highly regarded tapers. If your goal is to sell it after, then perhaps learn on less expensive rods then tackle the Granger and do a good job of it. Then you'll get a good dollar for it come sale time.
I've got 2 Goodwin Granger 8642 Specials in for restoration. I plan on keeping one and selling the other. They are nice rods to work with so long at you don't have to mess with the ferrules or reel seat.

Here is a pic of my current restoration. This Goodwin Granger 8642 came in with gold original wraps and not the Granger green that is more commonly used. I found that Belding & Corticelli #3045 Golden Corn matches very well as you can see from pics.

For rod restoration and refinishing services see: http://eastsloperodw...shawwebspace.ca

#6 cheffy

cheffy
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:43 PM

Granger, the one maker whose ferrules will give you nightmares. they'll get just loose enough to bother you but not loose enough to come of easily. I swear they used a t 2 ton press to put them on. too much heat too quick and you end up with a live hot bullet flying around the shop. Other than that I like Grangers:)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users