Another home-made wrapping jig.

wrapping jig

14 replies to this topic

#1 Stan_MT

Stan_MT
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 09:44 PM

Just finished up my first rod build (with some assistance here) and decided I will be doing more.  In that light I headed off to the shop to see what I had laying around to make a wrapping jig I would be happier with. 

Used 3-1/2" bolt with synthetic washers, spring and wing-nuts for spool tensioners.  Stopped by my local sporting goods store and asked about any blem's or damaged/broken ice fishing rods - came away with one that worked great as a tension pickup arm. 

As soon as I got the rod built I tried doing a weave using a 1/2" wooden dowel (poor choice for that test....) and determined I needed more space between the rod supports for the home-made looms to fit.  So, I ended up with a jig that has a fixed 12" wide base for the thread platform - and 24" of T-track on either side.  I made 4 rod supports, so in all I have the flexibility to go anywhere from 12" to about 62" between the supports.

Still need to pick up some felt to protect the rod blank.  This was built using some plywood scraps I had in the shop already - should it work out well I will be planning a way to integrate all this into a fly-tying, rod-building storage desk cabinet idea I have been thinking about for a custom build in Black Walnut.

Had problems attaching images, so a couple posts to follow with 2 additional pictures.

The overall jig in plain ol' plywood.

wrappingjig1_zps3zu6y2wj.jpg

Wrapping platform:

wrap-thread-platform_zps5nvfg9jh.jpg

Rod stands moved out to make room for the weaving looms.

wrap-jig-weave-spread_zpsnlshajcd.jpg

#2 Stan_MT

Stan_MT
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 09:48 PM

Well, I will upload the other images once I figure out why I cannot currently upload anything additional.

#3 ACowley

ACowley
  • Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 10:46 PM

Welcome! Looks nicer than mine... By a lot.

Here's a tutorial on how to post pics.
http://www.rodbuildi...showtopic=27348

Also, let's see some pics of your rod... Since you mentioned it, you're committed.

Tony

#4 Stan_MT

Stan_MT
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 11:25 PM

Tony,

Thanks for the link to the tutorial - not working for any of my image storage sites though - keep getting a message to the effect 'this extension not recognized'. 

Will keep working on it and will put up pics of the rod also (keep in mind - first one for me) :)

Thanks,

#5 Stan_MT

Stan_MT
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 11:44 PM

Tony,

Here's some images of the rod built last week.  Learned a lot. :)

_SFO3010_zpsbcgerj8h.jpg

_SFO3012_zps5pusmh5e.jpg

4_zpsvsjqtm74.jpg

#6 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 05:52 AM

Don't forget the felt on the uprights.  That is a nice wrapping jig.  Good idea using the T-track.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#7 ACowley

ACowley
  • Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 09:04 AM

Your rod looks great.  Far better than my first one...or my fifth for that matter.  What blank did you use?

#8 Stan_MT

Stan_MT
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 07:14 PM

Your rod looks great.  Far better than my first one...or my fifth for that matter.  What blank did you use?

I ordered a Rainshadow RX6 9' 5 wt kit from Hook & Hackle.  Did learn a few things building this one, nothing terrible for a rod for myself - so I'll call it a success.  :)

#9 Carl Z

Carl Z
  • Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 08:43 PM

You have some very nice, simple concepts built into that jig.

The thread handling is great.  I like the simple cowclip setup in a vertical orientation.  Easy to change spools.  And the use of a rod tip for tension and guides to change line direction is well executed.  I've seen it before, but not recently.

And then the way you have notched out the rubberband holders for tensioning is neat too.

Really neat.

#10 Stan_MT

Stan_MT
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 01:35 PM

You have some very nice, simple concepts built into that jig.

The thread handling is great.  I like the simple cowclip setup in a vertical orientation.  Easy to change spools.  And the use of a rod tip for tension and guides to change line direction is well executed.  I've seen it before, but not recently.

And then the way you have notched out the rubberband holders for tensioning is neat too.

Really neat.

Thanks Carl,

All ideas were obtained from looking at previous posts and doing some google searches.  Just grabbed what looked good and started putting things together. :)

#11 Stan_MT

Stan_MT
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:33 PM

After using this jig to start my second rod build - I had to take the saw after it.

Just too long at 5' to manage comfortably.  So I chopped 16" off each side and made the offcuts into separate supports, if needed.

Works much better this way, still a good amount of adjustability of the support arms with the narrower setup.

Some later attempts at weaving will let me know if more adjustments to the jig are needed.

#12 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 04:57 AM

Timely as I am finishing up a casting rod that is 6 ft. long.  Hard to do on a short table.  I'm thinking about rearranging the room and building a bench attached to the long wall which is about 8 ft. long.  Always something!  Like the beaver said, "Just one dam project after another!"

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#13 Dave-G.

Dave-G.
  • Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:22 PM

How do you like the RX6 performance, any ratings on it ? Nice job ! I just last month built a Rainshadow Revelation 9'5 wt. Love it's action and smooth casting but can take or leave the thick butt section.

I built my jig years ago,  It has three fixed stantions with felt riders for the rod ( as mentioned you should add those too). I'd say yours has more functions but i get along ok. The T rail is something I'd like to add to the edge of mine to get a sliding postion for the final thread loop eyelet.

My photos are stored in One Drive which is a cloud arrangement for windows, can't seem to find a path from there to here. Not by way of my computer anyway. So haven't posted photos of my rod or the wrapper.

#14 Stan_MT

Stan_MT
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 08:36 PM

Timely as I am finishing up a casting rod that is 6 ft. long.  Hard to do on a short table.  I'm thinking about rearranging the room and building a bench attached to the long wall which is about 8 ft. long.  Always something!  Like the beaver said, "Just one dam project after another!"

hey John,

Dang - an 8' long dedicated table would be great.  I don't have a dedicated area yet so my jig has to be somewhat portable - have been using it on the kitchen table lately. :)

#15 Stan_MT

Stan_MT
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 09:05 PM

How do you like the RX6 performance, any ratings on it ? Nice job ! I just last month built a Rainshadow Revelation 9'5 wt. Love it's action and smooth casting but can take or leave the thick butt section.

I built my jig years ago,  It has three fixed stantions with felt riders for the rod ( as mentioned you should add those too). I'd say yours has more functions but i get along ok. The T rail is something I'd like to add to the edge of mine to get a sliding postion for the final thread loop eyelet.

My photos are stored in One Drive which is a cloud arrangement for windows, can't seem to find a path from there to here. Not by way of my computer anyway. So haven't posted photos of my rod or the wrapper.

hey Dave-G,

I have not had a chance to get out for any extended trips with the RX6.  I'm busy with baitcaster setups now working on Bass and Northern Pike.  Trout will be later in the spring on the rivers here.

I did add felt to the rod supports not long after it being mentioned. :)

Here is a quick picture of the rod I was working on that caused me to decide to cut down the length of the wrapping jig.

_SFO3879rotate-n-crop_zpsquhnyrsz.jpg

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)