Alps Rod Wrapper question

9 replies to this topic

#1 John A.

John A.
  • Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:03 AM

Hello All

I have one of the new model Alps Power Wrappers, and have been very pleased with it's performance EXCEPT for one issue. When wrapping on lightweight rod tips, the rollers on the rod stands are spaced far enough apart that the rod tends to slip down between the two bottom rollers and can actually ride against the metal frame of the rod stand. If you don't catch it in time the rod rubbing against the metal stand can damage the rod finish (please don't ask me how I know this).

Has anyone had a similar experience with rod stands, and if so did you find a fix for it?

Thanks

John A.

#2 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:16 AM

Just take and notch or cut a small v-groove in the center of the support and that will take care of it. A triangular file will make short work of it.

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#3 John A.

John A.
  • Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:39 AM

QUOTE (Goduster @ May 27 2013, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just take and notch or cut a small v-groove in the center of the support and that will take care of it. A triangular file will make short work of it.

Thanks Ron. I will give that a try, but if the rod blank is small enough at the tip end it can go completely through the rollers and still end up in the V groove. Mybe in addition to the V groove i could wrap a few layers of masking tape around the blank to make it larger in diameter.

Thanks again for your suggestion

John A.

#4 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:56 PM

It shouldn't be able to, as the rollers should overlap at some point of the intersection.

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#5 Jojackc

Jojackc
  • Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:17 PM

I would contact Batson. For what those things go for I wouldn't even mess around just let them come up with an answer for you.

#6 bradstone

bradstone
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:32 AM

I have the ALPS wrapper, here is what I do.

There are 3 supports. 2 of them have a spring tension and there is one with gravity tension. The rollers overlap (but not much) on the ones with the springs. The one without the spring does not overlap. I put the support without the spring on the fattest part of the blank.

#7 John A.

John A.
  • Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:32 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies. Bradstone, i will try your method. I have always used the gravity tension arm on the tip end of the rod. I will also send a note to Batson, as I still feel that the roller system is not well designed for working with lightweight rod tips.

Thanks!

John A.

#8 bloodlines

bloodlines
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:08 AM

apply masking tape like an arbor to the blank to protect it as well as making it a little bigger in diameter

#9 shfishinsticks

shfishinsticks
  • Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:18 AM

I put tape on the blank where it contacts all of the wheels. Some blanks have fragile paint and the wheels do leave a mark. as for the blank slipping thru problem, I just use my handwrapper on small rods. I'm not a fan of powerwrapping. This machine is fantastic for applying finish and doing holo wraps and other LONG wraps that make your thumbs cramp up.

#10 Raven Rods

Raven Rods
  • Members
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:No where near good fishing water.

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:27 AM

If you decide to file or cut away any of the roller bracket to clear small diameter blank tips, remove & protect the rollers carefully beforehand. They have open bearings that would be quickly damaged by any metallic dust incursion.

This is definitely a flaw in the system that does not need to be. They could easily cut the needed groove, stagger the rollers, something, to allow the roller stands to be used on smaller dia tips. My background is Engineering and this seems like such a no-brainer, I don't get it.

My Alps wrapper is only 2 months old, so it should be the latest & greatest version available and the problem still persists.  

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users