Help me complete my wood lathe setup

31 replies to this topic

#16 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

dumb questions

We are here to answer questions on this forum. The only dumb question is the one not asked. Happy turning! kicking.gif

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#17 parabellum

parabellum
  • Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:30 PM

Thanks John thumbup.gif

Gonna quote my last question from previous page so it doesn't get lost in the thread

QUOTE (parabellum @ Nov 3 2012, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
IF I go with a refurbed Nova G3 chuck will THIS pin jaw do the job? I can't quite tell what the internal diameter is so i cant tell if it can grip for example a tip section of a rod to prep it for a ferule?

Similarly if i go with a grizzly chuck H6265 will THIS set of pin jaws work for me?

#18 kbproctor

kbproctor
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE (parabellum @ Nov 3 2012, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
IF I go with a refurbed Nova G3 chuck will THIS pin jaw do the job? I can't quite tell what the internal diameter is so i cant tell if it can grip for example a tip section of a rod to prep it for a ferule?

Similarly if i go with a grizzly chuck H6265 will THIS set of pin jaws work for me?

Yes, either of those will do the job.

Kevin

Colorado Custom Fly Rods, Ltd.

If your parents never had kids, chances are you won't either....

#19 parabellum

parabellum
  • Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:34 AM

Thanks Kevin. I think I have a fuller picture in my mind now. I just missed a 20% sale at Woodcraft, hopefully they'll have a new one soon.

Btw, can anyone explain to me why this grizzly chuck by itself wouldn't be able to all this for 1/3 the cost? I know it uses the wrench tightening opposing plates system so possibly something due to that?

http://www.grizzly.c...1-x-8-TPI/H7605

#20 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:57 AM

parabellum, I have a chuck like that from Harbor Freight (you might compare prices). Tightening with the pins can be unhandy at times but I'm cheap. I belong to a turning club and see the deom guys use the hex key to tighten the chuck with one hand. Very handy. When my ship comes in, I'll buy one.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#21 CowDawg

CowDawg
  • Validating
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:48 AM

QUOTE (John T. @ Nov 5 2012, 05:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
parabellum, I have a chuck like that from Harbor Freight (you might compare prices). Tightening with the pins can be unhandy at times but I'm cheap. I belong to a turning club and see the deom guys use the hex key to tighten the chuck with one hand. Very handy. When my ship comes in, I'll buy one.

Anyone else use Harbor Freight's 4 jaw chuck??? I have one shipping to me, due on this Wednesday from there.

I compared Harbors Freight chuck to Craftsman's chuck and they both look identical! But for half the price..... I also opted for Harbor Freight's as well.

#22 PadreBR

PadreBR
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:03 PM

Tightening a tommy bar chuck really isn't that bad if your lathe has a spindle lock. You can do it one-handed. The chucks are considerably cheaper and usually lighter as well. On small lathes the less spinning weight, the better.

#23 [email protected]

[email protected]
  • Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE (Goduster @ Oct 30 2012, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That will work if you want to turn pen blanks. If you have a live center in the tailstock end then you could could use your existing chuck in the headstock to use the mandrells for turning corkBut you still need some sort of chuck for the thru drilling of the inserts.
These are the mandrells I use, but Lynn does not sell them anymore, and you have to purchase them from one of the rod building suppliers, also here is what I use for drilling my inserts at the present time. It comes from Penn State Industries
http://www.backlashtools.com/tools.htm

Can you use this to hold your mandrel for turning seats and wooden handles?

#24 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:23 PM

Thats all I use any more, and it works just fine for me.

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#25 [email protected]

[email protected]
  • Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:27 AM

QUOTE (Goduster @ Mar 16 2013, 11:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats great, thanks for the quick reply. I think I'm going to get the bigger of the two chucks since I have a bunch of blanks around 2"

#26 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:01 AM

QUOTE ([email protected] @ Mar 17 2013, 05:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats great, thanks for the quick reply. I think I'm going to get the bigger of the two chucks since I have a bunch of blanks around 2"

Kinda of a little wasteful and time consuming to turn down a 2" blank, I would cut them in half and make 4 1" blanks out of them, unless you are turning for something different than an insert. Only time I use anything large is if I am turning a grip for someone. The largest diameter I turn for my reel seats I sell is only .812 and the majority are .640.
Still ok to get the larger one though as it will still suffice for the smaller size blanks.

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#27 [email protected]

[email protected]
  • Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:22 AM

QUOTE (Goduster @ Mar 17 2013, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE ([email protected] @ Mar 17 2013, 05:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kinda of a little wasteful and time consuming to turn down a 2" blank, I would cut them in half and make 4 1" blanks out of them, unless you are turning for something different than an insert. Only time I use anything large is if I am turning a grip for someone. The largest diameter I turn for my reel seats I sell is only .812 and the majority are .640.
Still ok to get the larger one though as it will still suffice for the smaller size blanks.

I was planning on turning rod handles as well. I was assuming that the smaller pen drilling chuck was to small for holding blanks.
I will definitely cut down some blanks for reel seats though. I didn't even consider that!

#28 parabellum

parabellum
  • Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:52 PM

I'll try posting here instead of opening a new thread first.

This lathe's balance wheel doesn't have a center-hole that I can get a rod through to do rod end prepping and ferrule fitting work. Can a different balance wheel be gotten? Any recommendations?

#29 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:10 AM

I was checking this post and wanted to make a statement. I don't recommend wearing gloves around any piece of moving machinery.

John T.

#30 phg

phg
  • Members
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE (parabellum @ Dec 5 2013, 09:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll try posting here instead of opening a new thread first.

This lathe's balance wheel doesn't have a center-hole that I can get a rod through to do rod end prepping and ferrule fitting work. Can a different balance wheel be gotten? Any recommendations?

I'm not sure what all you need, but last year, I had this guy make me a new tailstock ram with a #1 Morse Taper. He does good work at a reasonable price. Contact him, and tell him what you need, get a quote.
http://www.lathecity.com/

Specialized tooling for home lathes is his sideline. Check out his WEB site to see the sort of things he has done in the past. It's pretty interesting.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users