I posted a while ago about getting some advice on attempting to drill a large cocobolo blank for the butt section of a centerpin. I ended up cutting it into three pieces, the butt section, reel seat and accent for a foregrip.
The butt section came out alright so far, I still need to glue some cork to it and take a little more off the but end..
The reel seat could have been better, it tapers a bit towards the tip so it's a little but of a loose fit but I think that I can live with that.
The accent for the foregrip is a fail in my book.. somehow it's not completely centered,I'm not sure what could have possibly caused that. The diamater is way too thin (that got away from me) and I just don't think it looks good. pictures to follow.. good thing I didn't waste too much expensive cork on it.
If anybody is curious I turned everything on a game call mandrel.. They come in multiple diamaters and there is a screw on one end that accepts a live center and allows you to expand the diamater in order to hold your work.
Pictures of my fail to follow. Hopefully I'll be posting some pictures of the finished product in a few weeks. Hopefully the first time I'm using wood in a grip won't be a complete fail.
Failed attempt to implement wood into handle..
No replies to this topic
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users