Photo

Grip Style

22 replies to this topic

Poll: What grip style should we put on the '05 FTOTY bamboo rod?

What grip style should we put on the '05 FTOTY bamboo rod?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 johnchanner

johnchanner
  • Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 08:59 AM

Chris;
You don't have a reverse half wells (like Heddon used on most of their rods) in your poll, my vote goes there. I will also take friendly issue with your Garrison style. Garrison favored a straight tapered grip that was about an 1/8 bigger in diameter at the front than the back, hie thought it fit the natural shape of a closed hand better and I tend to agree with him. The only problem is that they're rather ugly<g>.
john

#17 Gary Madore

Gary Madore

"Orvis Whore"

• Members
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 11:08 AM

QUOTE (johnchanner @ Oct 2 2005, 09:59 AM)
Chris;
You don't have a reverse half wells (like Heddon used on most of their rods) in your poll, my vote goes there. I will also take friendly issue with your Garrison style. Garrison favored a straight tapered grip that was about an 1/8 bigger in diameter at the front than the back, hie thought it fit the natural shape of a closed hand better and I tend to agree with him. The only problem is that they're rather ugly<g>.
john

Time to educate me: What's the diff between a RHW and a Western?

And I'm a little frightened by the way you describe the Garrison: You make it sound like a peni.... Well, you know!

Cheers!

Gary

Orvis ROCKS!

#18 matsoberg

matsoberg
  • Members
  • 727 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 11:42 AM

QUOTE (Gary Madore @ Oct 2 2005, 11:08 AM)
You make it sound like a peni.... Well, you know!

Cheers!

Gary

Sorry for getting off topic, but: bugeyes.gif .............. laugh.gif

#19 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 11:57 AM

You don't have a reverse half wells

I think you mean a regular half wells - like a full wells, with the bump on the thumb side, but tapers into the reel seat, correct? A reverse half wells is a flipped version of the above and is synonymous with 'western' if I'm not mistaken. As a disclaimer, I have seen the names of grips described differently in some publications, but I'm sticking to common usage. I left the half wells off because I don't personally like the aesthetics of them, and the feel is close to a full wells. Sorry. sad.gif wink.gif

I will also take friendly issue with your Garrison style.

I fully agree. I harvested the pics from the REC website and they call the bottom example a 'cigar'. It looks more like a Garrison to me, except for the bump at the seat side. Were I to turn it - which seems unlikely at this stage of the voting rolleyes.gif - I'd turn it more like Garrison did. thumbsup.gif

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#20 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 11:59 AM

You make it sound like a peni....

Gets you wondering how old Everett came up with the shape in the first place... whistling1.gif

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#21 Gary Madore

Gary Madore

"Orvis Whore"

• Members
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 01:34 PM

QUOTE (Carlin @ Oct 2 2005, 12:59 PM)
You make it sound like a peni....

Gets you wondering how old Everett came up with the shape in the first place... whistling1.gif

Heh heh heh.... Indeed it does.

At any rate, it ocurred to me that a Garrison grip as described by John would be a very bad idea: My wife would be more likely to hit it with a stick than to let it in the house and some other ladies I know would never let it go! wink.gif

Either way, I'd never get to fish it....

Cheers!

Gary

Orvis ROCKS!

#22 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 08:09 PM

Looks like Western takes it with 14 votes!

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#23 Gary Madore

Gary Madore

"Orvis Whore"

• Members
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 07:37 AM

QUOTE (Carlin @ Oct 2 2005, 09:09 PM)
Looks like Western takes it with 14 votes!

Don't you mean the Reversed Half Wells? whistling1.gif

Cheers!

Gary

Orvis ROCKS!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users