Photo

SUN 270 LABEL MAKER

6 replies to this topic

#1 GWP

GWP
  • Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:01 PM

I bought the Sun 270 label maker and a clear back label with white lettering. I have put them directly on the blank and I've put them over a coat of epoxy and no matter which way I get cloudy spots, usually around or under the lettering.

Any solutions?

Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish!!

#2 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:11 PM

Maybe you are not getting good adhesion.  I bought a stencil roller from Hobby Lobby and use that for applying labels/decals.  Works great.  I also always put the decals on a coat of epoxy.  Others will contribute, I'm sure as we have some great builders that have faced all kinds of challenges.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#3 GWP

GWP
  • Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 08:17 PM

No adhesion problem. Had to remove one,not fun. Ive tried rolling and burnishing.
Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish!!

#4 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 09:34 PM

I have not experienced any problem with it. These are some of the last that I have done

Calstar%202_zpsza6cljj1.jpgWindow%20seat%202_zpscmgkqyu8.jpgSHX3_zpsgbicxjgg.jpgDecal_zpsrrzbaknq.jpg

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#5 Golden Touch Decals

Golden Touch Decals
  • Members
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing, Custom wood turning for reel seats, Custom Rod Building, Photography

Posted 09 January 2016 - 12:38 AM

Hey GWP......

If you have access to a magnifying glass or a gem dealers loupe of at least 12x, check the cloudy spots to see what they "look like".....if the areas look like a ga-zillion, small water droplets or even microscopic air bubbles, it could very well be the result of an area of the decal that was not properly "activated" with the rolling or burnishing procedure. Since the vinyl carrier of the decal is clear, the only thing that could cause a cloudy appearance would be the adhesive layer or something that has been trapped underneath the decal during the application.  If you do not use a piece of clear packaging tape as "transfer film" over the decal, any contact with the adhesive side will definitely leave marks that will look cloudy at the area touched if they are not removed prior to rolling or burnishing.

Also the printing resolution of the 270 is fine, but it is much less than the 320 and therefore has the potential to show the edges of any image to appear "not as sharp" as it should be.

The 3M product I use will have that same appearance if the adhesive layer is not properly burnished or rolled and a spot is missed - and it would have the same end result whether placed over a section of epoxied blank or not. Rolling or burnishing any decal should be done from the centers of the decal, going away from the center in each direction or you will slightly trap areas of adhesive that can't get properly flattened & activated. The adhesive layer on the 3M media is somewhat more robust than that on the Sun 270 as I have checked it on some decal samples from the sales rep that is supplying the rod builders with the Sun equipment. I also use a similar piece of label equipment at work that is made by the Sun people but under a different name. I even bought some tapes from him for work as I like to support those that are helping us promote the art of rod building.

All of this typing may be OK but until I see a well focused image of the issue, a proper diagnosis may not be possible.

Thanks,   Charlie

Charles Armontrout

Sweetwater Fly Rods &  Golden Touch Decals

SweetwaterFlyRods.com

"I'll create your custom rod decals so you won't have to"

"The best decals are the ones you STICK with....."

#6 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 09:57 AM

Charlie, thanks for your experience and observations on decals/labels.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#7 GWP

GWP
  • Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 05:27 PM

Beautiful, Goduster.
Charlie, thanks for the information. I'll pay closer attention. Never had any issues with the logo decals you made for me. They always were perfect with very little effort. Guess the label tape may require a little more finness when applying.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users