Photo

Tools you'll need to build a bamboo rod.

30 replies to this topic

#16 Al Owen

Al Owen
  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 03:38 PM

Well gang I just kicked off my rod tool buying phase with an order from JW for his Binder and Rod Wrapper. I think next time I do a tool buy it will be for the Tom Morgan Handmill. That darn Chris Carlin got me infected with the rod building lust! Hey as much fun as splitting cane was by hand, watching "TROUT GRASS" (that Chris lent me) Watching Glen Brackett splitting a clum (12ft.) Looked to cool for words. I think maybe Mr. Brackett has some showman blood in him. I talked to Tom at Manufacturing Technologies Inc. about his splitter and asked him why he isn't busy making a node press? He said he'll look into it. I guess a guy could spend the time and come up with a homey (homemade) but I think I would have more fun building rods. wallbash.gif
"TIGHT LINES=WET DREAMS"

#17 RSetina

RSetina
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE(Troutchaser @ Jul 5 2005, 10:52 AM)  

Chris, might I be so bold as to add:

String Binder (either hand binding or contraption based). Folks see here for examples Binders

Wow! Very impressive tools. I guess this is what you use to bind the split bamboo parts together? Is it possible to bind them together without one of these setups? I'd love to get into building bamboo rods though I'm sure there's a long learning curve. I've felt a few in my hand before and there's nothing like the feel of a well made bamboo flyrod.

#18 werkinstiff

werkinstiff
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 11:38 PM

Nother Newbie question, how do you use the spinning reel to bind the blank?

Regards
Tong

#19 Fly1

Fly1

bamboo Weenie

• Members
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 12:24 PM

Mount the reel on your bench, pull some line off setting the drag for a little tension and start wrapping the line around the blank from one end to the other and back. May not be this best but it should work OK.

Ken cool.gif
You can only be lost if you care where your going. - Harvey Morrison

Credit River Cane Rods
Credit River Anglers Association
Ken Paterson, Streetsville, Ontario

#20 Landrodz?

Landrodz?
  • Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 04:23 PM

If I ever say I want to build a bamboo rod, shoot me - the funeral would be cheaper

#21 mdraft1

mdraft1
  • Members
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 04:44 PM

gun_bandana.gif

www.proofflyfishing.com

Your source for fair priced, high quality rod building supplies.  Snake Brand guides, cork, thread, blanks, rod finish, tools, etc...  

#22 mata

mata
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 05:34 PM

hi there, I am a starter on split cane rod building, I am from Argentina and I am traveling to San Francisco and to San Diego soon, and I wanted to know if I can find there a store where to buy a deph indicator, because here in Argentina they are too expensive, thanks a lot.

Matias

#23 kbproctor

kbproctor
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE (mata @ Jul 25 2011, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi there, I am a starter on split cane rod building, I am from Argentina and I am traveling to San Francisco and to San Diego soon, and I wanted to know if I can find there a store where to buy a deph indicator, because here in Argentina they are too expensive, thanks a lot.

Matias

There is a company called Harbor Freight Tools that will have dial indicators and stands for them that you can obtain very reasonably. You can buy two and have a spare. I am sure they have a store in San Diego and I am certain you will find a clerk there that speaks Spanish as well to help with the communications about the tool.

Kevin

Colorado Custom Fly Rods, Ltd.

If your parents never had kids, chances are you won't either....

#24 matt_a

matt_a
  • Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:41 PM

Matais,

Harbor freight would be my recommendation. If you need all three bits (dial, 60 degree point, and base) then Harbor Freight might not work. You might have to find a specialty/machine shop supplier such as MSC. Golden Witch and bellinger sell rod building tools. If shipping is problematic, you could have them ship to a flyshop an hold until you pick up.

Matt
Bamboo blanks, rods, & components
Check out my building apps and youtube channel

albaughcanerods.com
[email protected]

~Rise Above

#25 kbproctor

kbproctor
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:51 PM

Matt, the HF indicators are pretty standard. Not having a 60* point or need for one, aren't they just an add on? I'll have to look at my indicator tomorrow and see what it has for a point.
Kevin

#26 Artin

Artin
  • Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:57 PM

Matias,
Try this place,
http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/nnsrhm

They are in San Diego. You're better off buying from San Diego rather than San Fran. Due to tax rate it will be cheaper from SD. Also, if you're in SD for a few days you should check out their landings. Some very good tuna action in the fall. Sept-Dec. Yellowfin, bluefin, yellowtail, dorado..... Lot's of nice saltwater action.

Also, I would not do Harbor Freight. I am not fond of their products. in my opinion you're better off not buying from them. Experience. Their products aren't that good and break down easily. Headache. No pun to Kevins recommendation. But being a contractor I've bought tools from them a couple of times and have been very disappointed in the quality both times.

Good luck

Artin

#27 kbproctor

kbproctor
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:23 PM

To add to Artin's statement about Harbor Freight. You do need to be careful. Some of their tools are fine while others are junk. I have had very good luck with the bench type power tools, air tools, and some hand tools. The dial indicator is of comparable quality to the lowest priced one from MSC. I would stay away from any of the battery operated tools and most of the hand held power tools from Harbor Freight. Not being a contractor, I have found the tools that I buy from Harbor Freight are adequate. I use them once in a while and they serve me well. The price is right and they have held up for me. I use my lathe quite a bit and have had no problem with it at all. You just need to watch what you are buying. That's all.

In this case, I would agree to check out MSC. They have a wide variety of dial indicators and accessories so you should be able to get everything you need with one stop. That would not be possible at Harbor Freight.
Kevin

#28 mata

mata
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:19 PM

Thank to all, I ll check out your recomendations!

Matias

#29 CTobias

CTobias
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:05 PM

Just watch out, Harbor Freight sells some pure Grade A Chinese JUNK!

#30 Spey

Spey
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:08 AM

Interesting post. If I take 3-4 months to build a rod, is there a sequence of tools that I could procure over that period? If yes, what would that be? I do prefer not plan to buy all the specified tools in one go.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users