New 240g tank build

57 replies to this topic

#16 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,500 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 06:53 PM

Carl the wood looking floor is actually a 1pc roll style vinyl flooring I had put down about 10 year ago when I first built the shop in the basement. So it is not an actual wood floor. The new tiles are in the picture halfway done. Those are the flooring I did in the adjoining office back about 5 years ago so now I am continuing that same tile (called Patina Shale) into the new area so the entire floor down there all matches now. 

This is what it all looks like now. Just finished it up a bit ago. Has a nice warm feel to the room now that it all is the same.

ACUDyp.jpg

mcfr.jpg

“If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you'll spend your life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing things you don't like doing, which is stupid. Better to have a short life, doing what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=VPCp5xsP-vk

#17 Carl Z

Carl Z
  • Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:57 PM

It looks good.  I feel that getting the flooring right in the basement is half the battle.  It has to be easy to clean, robust enough that dropping something doesn't chip it, and provide enough insulation that it insulates and cushions the concrete some.    I guess you have a few more constraints.  Supports a 250G tank and handles water really well.  :-)

#18 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,500 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:55 PM

Still a lot to do such as more painting, finish the ceiling, finish the trout wall border between the two colors on the wall, trim work, new light for the troph tank, and not even to mention the actual work on the 240g tank like building the stand and 3d background and all that. With that said though, definite PROGRESS over the past few days of burning the midnight oil. The basement shop/office has been an ever evolving thing over the past 12 yrs, but I think I like this version and the openness of it now that I torn the wall down the best.

N7hbW4.jpg
 R8HBeL.jpg
 rEkRPu.jpg
 ds7gtv.jpg
 MLhCJG.jpg
 XYspVe.jpg
 Yeg9Uf.jpg
 6Yak3U.jpg

mcfr.jpg

“If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you'll spend your life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing things you don't like doing, which is stupid. Better to have a short life, doing what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

#19 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,500 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 10:11 PM

Well got about 6 hours into the stand build for the 240g tonight. Still have a lot to do to it such as add center uprights and then doubling up 2x4's in between the upper & lowers sections etc etc. Building it so the vertical posts are supporting the weight and no weight on fasteners and such. About halfway there so far with it.
 uLJnQv.jpg
 yQ4S1d.jpg

mcfr.jpg

#20 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,686 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:01 PM

Lots of work done and more to come!  Looks nice!  BTW, the sign over the other aquarium says #1 Fisherman.  Did you buy that yourself? ;) Or did someone give that to you?

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#21 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,500 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:39 PM

PJEN8H.jpg

Stand is all done. Could park a full size truck on it without issue lol.Just have to put the piece of sanded plywood on top now and still have to skin it with nice furniture grade 1/4" sheeting but that and the finish work will come later.

mcfr.jpg

#22 Carl Z

Carl Z
  • Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 06:11 PM

Have you checked that the foundation will hold the tank?  That's an awful lot of water.

#23 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,500 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 07:32 PM

3la0YU.jpg

BOOM!

Concrete basement floor so it's fine.

mcfr.jpg

#24 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,500 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 05:10 PM

Some before, during & after pics of buffing out the acrylic today using Novus 1/2/3 buffing compounds. Will probably buff it out again but looking pretty darn good even after just the first round of buffing.
 HVEW8K.jpg
 bAdUDh.jpg
 LkB2DN.jpg
 sSyhuF.jpg
 CPUd9Q.jpg

mcfr.jpg

#25 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,686 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 07:15 PM

That polishing stuff works great.

We have a Paint Creek in NE TN.  Supposed to be good trout stream.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#26 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,500 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 10:01 PM

Well even though I buffed it all out last week and was "happy" with it, there were still a few small spots that were bugging me. So I decided to go ahead and wet sand the entire tank down with 1000/2000 grit and then rebuff it all out again. Just finished it up and couldn't be happier with the results because I know if I didn't do it now I would always regret not doing it when I had the chance.

thIqD6.jpg
 AL7yvU.jpg

mcfr.jpg

#27 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,686 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:39 AM

If you have a Woodcraft store in hour area, you can get grits as fine as 12,000 for finishing acrylic.  Looking good!

John T.

#28 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,500 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 02:32 AM

12,000 would be way way way too fine John. I have the Novus for buffing that fine ;)

All done and filled with water leak testing. Been filled for 10 hrs now. Stressed still! lol Thats 2000lbs of water. Uhg.

atlOid.jpg

mcfr.jpg

#29 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,500 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 12:58 AM

Well came home today after dropping off some stuff at the local fish club auction and started right onto working on the background for the 240g build. I can say for sure that this background project will in fact be the death of me! lol. I'm doing it a bit different than any of the others I have done before. Making the rocks stick out anywhere from 1-2" all the way out to some full 6" thick rocks to really give it some nice 3d feel to the background. Adding some caves which I plan to backlite with blue cold cathode lights the way I did one of my tanks a few years ago. Also plan to do a full stalactite probably over to the left side. Having to carve the really thick 6" foam sections is much more time consuming than than any of the other background I have done before. I have a solid 10hrs of work into just what you see here today. And that's maybe what 15% done? uhg. I'm thinking I'll have around 100 hours into this one by the time it's all carved painted and sealed. Should be worth it though when done :)

U0HR1c.jpg
8M9Bt8.jpg
T4RxLx.jpg

mcfr.jpg

#30 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,500 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 11:00 PM

WePsaZ.jpg
 RLzrwk.jpg
 DWc4WJ.jpg

Another full day of work on it today. Still a VERY long way to go but starting to take shape a bit now.

mcfr.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users