Photo

Any good ideas for a dust guard?

9 replies to this topic

#1 switch10

switch10
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:10 AM

My workshop is dusty.  I always make sure to do dirty work out side like reaming cork to try to reduce some of the particles floating around my workbench where I apply finish.  I haven't had much of an issue with dust landing in fresh epoxy as of yet (I watch it like a hawk), but it is bound to happen eventually.

I was thinking about building a thin Plexiglass box to go around the dryer.  Has anyone built anything like this, or any other contraption to help tame the dust?  

Thanks for any suggestions.

#2 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:36 PM

I would, if possible, separate turning and finishing into two places.  Doing both in the same shop will give you some grief at a future time.  Do a search as several of the forum members have built dust-proof drying boxes.  Me?  I have a separate spare bedroom room (the kids are gone!) for building and do all my turning in a shop in the garage/basement.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#3 henkus

henkus
  • Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:43 PM

i don't have a spare bedroom...... i use the kitchen, just after doing the dishes (water makes the dust setle... before i bring in the rod, i spray all the tiles with a fine layer of water, all windows closed to eliminate airflow around the rod, place some cold beers outside the kitchen, cover the working space with wet newspapers, and do my coating...... then i'll leave the kitchen, closing the door..... drink the beers and go to sleep.

i once was given the advice to do it in the bathroom, (first take a shower, all the dust will setle) then coat naked, so there isn't a sourch of fuzzies from clothes...... never tryed that, but it kind of makes  sense.

if i made a dust free/poor box, i would defenitivly, use water proof sides so i can make them wet, and eliminate anything that can make "dirty" air circulate around the rod, would even make sure there isn't any thermal airflow by warm lighting,

all those things are worthless if you place a dusty rod in there, so it must be completely clean. (cork coverd by a foil or film, to prevent any corkdust, just to be perfect.)

even then there is a chance of dust in there, you need to open it so you can place the rod, so a 100% dust free is virtual impossible (unless your in the microprocessor or space industry, they do have clean rooms)

if i ever get out of that kitchen, i think thats the way i'd build a box.

henk jan

#4 Greg LaPolla

Greg LaPolla
  • Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:24 PM

I live in the dustiest place in this country, I have windows open and fans blowing, never had an issue with my finish!

#5 kbproctor

kbproctor
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:20 PM

I was wondering if these guys were in 1930's dustbowl Oklahoma.  :rolleyes:

Kevin

Colorado Custom Fly Rods, Ltd.

If your parents never had kids, chances are you won't either....

#6 fishingmaniac

fishingmaniac
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:11 PM

Further to what John said, search Drying cabinet or Rod drying cabinet also. With the addition of a light globe you will also be able to play with the temperature in the cabinet as well

#7 switch10

switch10
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:14 AM

Further to what John said, search Drying cabinet or Rod drying cabinet also. With the addition of a light globe you will also be able to play with the temperature in the cabinet as well

http://www.rodbuildi...showtopic=20340

This is awesome, and exactly what I am looking for!  I'm going to build something like this, thank you.  

#8 Gnossos

Gnossos
  • Members
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:00 PM

I can't seem to load a small photo, but if you can search on "drier box" or "dryer box", there is at least one less sophisticated box on the forum.  Others have use a hood or umbrella, could be sheet plastic, but an enclosed, hard sided box is hard to beat.

#9 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,502 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:31 PM

I did mine on the cheap with using an old stand up book case http://www.rodbuildi...8557&hl=cabinet

mcfr.jpg

“If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you'll spend your life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing things you don't like doing, which is stupid. Better to have a short life, doing what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=VPCp5xsP-vk

#10 switch10

switch10
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:43 AM

I did mine on the cheap with using an old stand up book case http://www.rodbuildi...8557&hl=cabinet

Thanks Steve, I actually saw that the other day when I was looking around.  Great job!  I am now looking for a tall bookshelf.  Thank you for sharing!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users