A better way to wrap those pesky Micro Guides

20 replies to this topic

#1 Night-Life

Night-Life
  • Members
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:Bumping and Humping.

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:52 PM

I have found a better way to wrap those pesky Micro Guides I find it much better then the Forhan's Locking Wrap that we all have come to use. First I have started wrapping above where the eye of the guide will go this is called a bumper wrap here I will make about three of four wraps. Now make three turns around the neck of the guide where the guide bends up to lock it down just like you would if doing a Forhan’s wrap but notice how easy it is to hold the guide down with your thumb. Once you are done wrapping around the neck of the guide continue to wrap over the foot of the guide and over the left over tag end of the thread. now you can just keep wrapping and add any decretive trim threads that you like as the guide is locked down much more strongly then with the former Forhan’s wrap ever allowed and when finished simple lock it down like you always do. This is simple a improved Forhan locking wrap I like this wrap as you will have no more of those cases of “swoosh” where did it go’ or you getting on the floor looking for those tiny Micro Guide’s anymore. thumbsup.gif

Glenn McMurrian

#2 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:01 AM

Picture worth 1,000 words- Confucius.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#3 bellybuster

bellybuster
  • Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:13 PM

so, you're wrapping from the top down instead of up the foot?

#4 Night-Life

Night-Life
  • Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:20 PM

QUOTE (bellybuster @ Oct 6 2011, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
so, you're wrapping from the top down instead of up the foot?

That is correct I first wrap the bumper wrap in front of the guide then place the guide up to the bumper wrap then wrap around the neck of the guide 3 to 4 times then start wrapping arond the foot of the guide going down the foot to the point of the guide.

Glenn McMurrian

#5 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:40 PM

"PICS"

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#6 Skiperie

Skiperie
  • Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:51 AM

Yes Please I have 4 rods coming up that I have to use micros on

#7 bellybuster

bellybuster
  • Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:07 AM

I would love to see pics too

#8 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:47 AM

Why couldn't you do the first part but make loose wraps on the foot and then start at the end of the foot? The only thing would be the loose wraps showing up under the final wrap. I haven't done the micro guides yet but might try it on regualr single foot guides to see what it looks like.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#9 Night-Life

Night-Life
  • Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE (John T. @ Oct 7 2011, 07:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why couldn't you do the first part but make loose wraps on the foot and then start at the end of the foot? The only thing would be the loose wraps showing up under the final wrap. I haven't done the micro guides yet but might try it on regualr single foot guides to see what it looks like.

The problem with Micro guides is they do not lock down like the double foot guides do that where wrapping around the guide neck is fore. before a came up with this way of wrapping the micro Guides I was using the Forhan’s wrap and I was spending most of my time looking for Guides that I had lost on the floor.

Glenn McMurrian

#10 Night-Life

Night-Life
  • Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE (bellybuster @ Oct 7 2011, 07:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would love to see pics too

Will post some pis as soon as I can

Glenn McMurrian

#11 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:21 PM

I might not have been clear. Wrap the blank, put the guide up against it, wrap around the guide as you describe, and then loose wrap down to the end of the foot and then wrap back up toward the eye of the guide. Hope this is better.

John T.

#12 Night-Life

Night-Life
  • Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:36 PM

QUOTE (John T. @ Oct 7 2011, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I might not have been clear. Wrap the blank, put the guide up against it, wrap around the guide as you describe, and then loose wrap down to the end of the foot and then wrap back up toward the eye of the guide. Hope this is better.

You said everything right exept there is no need to wrap back up the guide foot just wrap around the neck of the guide 3 to 4 time and wrap down the foot and one you get to the front or the guide foot just end the wrap like always when I get some pics I will try to post them.

Glenn McMurrian

#13 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:42 PM

Thanks. Looking for them!

John T.

#14 Night-Life

Night-Life
  • Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:02 AM

QUOTE (John T. @ Oct 6 2011, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Picture worth 1,000 words- Confucius.

Start with the bumper wrap where you want the guide to be located notice how my finger is holding the guide down now after the bumper wrap start to wrap the locking wrap when done continue till you have finished wrapping to the end of the foot of the guide and end the wrap it’s that easy. This is just a different way of doing the Forhan’s locking wrap but it works much better as on the Forhan’s locking wrap you start from the front of the guide and work up and that is where most problems happen with the forhan’s wrap...Have fun

http://www.flickr.co...4...uide&m=text[/img][/img]

The pic's on the link e are nothing more then guides for a spinning rod they a just posted to show the detail of how the wrap is done and are a true Micro guide.

Glenn McMurrian

#15 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:36 AM

I almost don't even consider that to be a micro, it is still pretty large, My Idea of a micro is quite a bit smaller IMO

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users