Posted 20 December 2010 - 06:46 PM

Just turned my first bottle topper - picures to follow

#34 froggy

froggy
  • Members
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:46 AM

I forgot all about this thread. popcorn.gif
I've been doing a lot more pens and such lately.

Thanks for looking.

Chris
RULE#1:If you don't take pictures, it didn't happen.

#35 roadking

roadking
  • Members
  • 2,858 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:56 PM

Very nice, you're becoming quite the artist!

Mike

#36 Landrodz?

Landrodz?
  • Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 09:30 AM

First two attempts - one on left is Oregon Myrtle and the one on the right is Leopard wood

#37 kbproctor

kbproctor
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:13 PM

This is my first pen. Olive wood with a polyurethane finish.

Kevin

Colorado Custom Fly Rods, Ltd.

If your parents never had kids, chances are you won't either....

#38 kbproctor

kbproctor
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 06:37 PM

A pen and pencil set of figured sycamore with a CA finish.

I did substantially better with this set than the olive pen.

This lathe is simply TOO much fun!

Kevin

#39 OSD

OSD
  • Super Moderators
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 06:41 PM

I always make the torpedo point near the nib too thumbsup.gif

#40 kbproctor

kbproctor
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE (OSD @ Jan 1 2011, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I always make the torpedo point near the nib too thumbsup.gif

I didn't on the first one, but my wife likes it so that is what counts. I tried it with this set because I wanted some shape to it.

I have a bunch of duck call parts coming, too. I am going to have to try some laminated stuff there. Does anyone have pictures of any duck calls they have done?
Kevin

#41 kbproctor

kbproctor
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:08 PM

I know I have been obsessed lately, but Ron had sent me a beautiful piece of spalted apple. I made a vacuum jar to use with my brake bleeder and used polyurethane to strengthen the wood. I don't know that I would truly call it stabilized, but it made it a lot easier to work with.

Kevin

#42 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:14 PM

OK, tell us how you made the stabilizer with the brake bleeder, etc.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#43 roadking

roadking
  • Members
  • 2,858 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:19 PM

That is beautiful Kevin! Haven't seen any spalted apple , I like it. I have done the same thing with my Foodsaver. Put the can of Poly in the vacuum jars and go for it. It really does make wood turn nicer.

Mike

#44 yonks311

yonks311
  • Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:52 PM

Looking at all the cool pens and things you guys have been showing got me really wanting to get back out and use the lathe. Had some blanks sitting around to do bowls with and this is what I came up with.....shallow fly tying bowls.....

The one on the left is made from Jobillo, the middle is made from Mora and the right one is Bubinga. The left and middle bowls have a neodymium magnet recessed and glued in the bottom to hold hooks and things without the fear of spilling them in case it tips over. It works really well. I was able to put a dozen flies in it and flip it upside down with a little shaking and didnt drop any....yet they pull away from the bowl very easy......The bottoms are covered in felt and the bowls are finished with 3 coats of Tung oil buffing with 0000 steel wool in between coats.

Matt

#45 kbproctor

kbproctor
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE (John T. @ Jan 3 2011, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK, tell us how you made the stabilizer with the brake bleeder, etc.

I took a one pint wide mouth canning jar and drilled a hole in the lid. It turns out that a tube from a 7mm pen kit is just the right size for the hose from my hand pump vacuum brake bleeder. I stuck the pen tube through the middle of the lid after cleaning paint off to get nice lean metal. I also roughed up the tube a bit. The tube is stuck in place with a bit of 5 min Devcon epoxy filleted in top and bottom.

Once the epoxy was set, I filled the jar about halfway with polyurethane and dropped the cut and drilled pieces of spalted apple in, hooked up the hose and started pumping. Once I got to 20 inches of vacuum, the wood was foaming as the air was sucked out. I let it set for about an hour. I had to pump once or twice to keep the vacuum up at 20 inches, but it never dropped below 19 inches as it was. Once the bubbles had stopped, I released the vacuum, but did not remove the hose to the bleeder, and let things sit for 24 hours. This reversed things and normal air pressure shoved the polyurethane into the wood.

I then took it all apart, poured the remaining polyurethane back in the can, cleaned the jar, and hung the wood up to dry, making sure there was something under it to catch drips.

I let it hang until I could not smell the polyurethane anymore which was about a week. That was enough as I never did smell the poly as I was turning the pen.

There was a significant increase in the weight of the blanks. It really sucked a lot of polyurethane into the wood.

I do have a gallon pickle jar but am trying to refurbish the seal on the lid as it won't hold vacuum. The pint jar worked great with the exception of having to clean it.
Kevin

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users