• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 truls

truls
  • Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:24 PM

Hello!
I have looked at the Rodgeeks fly blanks, but can't find much information about them.
Has anyone built on those blanks, and could write a review on them, or which other blanks they compare to.
Or if anyone has the ccs numbers, it would be great.
6 and 7wt are the interesting ones.

Thanks for Your help!

Truls

#2 Nate

Nate
  • Members
  • 305 posts
  • Interests:All things fishing
    Mood music
    Jeeps
    Pugs

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:48 PM

I am also interested in this as the custom colors are AMAZEBALLS

-OIIIIIIIO-Jeepin

Stik-N-String Custom Rods

#3 Steve C

Steve C
  • Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:06 PM

I've been wondering as well, but been waiting for some feedback from other builders.  I've asked RodGeeks if they have CCS data.  The custom paint job could offer an economical option to CTS blanks.  RodGeeks doesn't have many size/weight options though.  

#4 baitwaister

baitwaister
  • Members
  • 648 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:00 PM

I asked the same question over on Rodbuilding.org and the only response I got was:

"Since Rodgeeks/Axiom makes many of the St. Croix fly rod blanks I would assume its going to be the same as those sold under the St. Croix label. Not sure which models that Rodgeeks makes for them but they might be willing to tell you."

Their are a lot of reviews on their other models (all very favorable) but I too can not find out anything on the flyrods.  Most of the custom colors are sometype of metallic which might be a little too "bright" for many flyfisherman.

Custom colors...2 week delivery...$18.95 shipping from Mexico to USA. 

#5 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:04 PM

According to an article in our local paper's magazine section, St. Croix makes all their own blanks.  Or am I wrong?

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#6 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:48 PM

Right off their website:

It takes experience, dedication and talent to handcrafr a premium performance fishing rod, and St Croix's team of expert rod builders are the best in the business. It takes over 30 pair of hands to complete 3 dozen different steps in the manufacturing, assembly and finishing of a St Croix rod. Whether that takes place at our headquarters in Park Falls, Wisconsin- or our state-of-the-art factory in Fresnillo, Mexico, each rod is a product of the passion and attention to detail of the talented people who make them

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#7 Washougal

Washougal
  • Members
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:52 PM

There is St. Croix USA and St Croix Mexico under another name. The materials, mandrels, etc. belong to the company your building for, the wrapping, baking, finishing is pretty much the same industry wide.

#8 Bingham Enterprises

Bingham Enterprises
  • Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:02 AM

Rod Geeks blanks are produced in Fresnillo Mexico in Axiom'rod building facility which is a joint venture with St Croix (mojo bass rods)

Rod Geeks blanks are sold by Axiom to custom rod builders. Rod Geeks blanks are not sold by retailers or custom rod distributors like myself.

Rod Geeks blanks are NOT sold by St.CROIX. These are NOT St.Croix blanks! Nor are they painted St.Croix blanks as some people are saying.
Karen
Bingham Enterprises
913-897-6657
[email protected]

Home of St.Croix, NFC, Rainshadow, Bing SHX blanks, Fuji, PacBay, AMTAK, Snakebrand Guides, Makoi Thread, Cork Rings and blocks, Threadmaster, Flexcoat and much more.

"Personalized service the old fashioned way"

#9 Steve C

Steve C
  • Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 11:13 AM

RODgeeks does not have CCS data for their blanks but will refund the purchase price if the customer is unhappy with the product. RODgeeks responded very quickly to my inquiry by email...and on a weekend too! That's a good sign.

#10 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 11:49 AM

As would also many of our sponsors

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#11 wjensen

wjensen
  • Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 07:35 PM

I asked the same question over on Rodbuilding.org and the only response I got was:

"Since Rodgeeks/Axiom makes many of the St. Croix fly rod blanks I would assume its going to be the same as those sold under the St. Croix label. Not sure which models that Rodgeeks makes for them but they might be willing to tell you."

Their are a lot of reviews on their other models (all very favorable) but I too can not find out anything on the flyrods.  Most of the custom colors are sometype of metallic which might be a little too "bright" for many flyfisherman.

Custom colors...2 week delivery...$18.95 shipping from Mexico to USA. 

I've been look at them as well and noticed that the colors seem pretty metallic.  I really like the custom color option but it would be nice if there were more subtle options available.  It would be nice to see one in person to see how the colors look in sunlight.  

#12 jumper

jumper
  • Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 09:11 PM

Rod Geeks blanks are produced in Fresnillo Mexico in Axiom'rod building facility which is a joint venture with St Croix (mojo bass rods)
Rod Geeks blanks are sold by Axiom to custom rod builders. Rod Geeks blanks are not sold by retailers or custom rod distributors like myself.
Rod Geeks blanks are NOT sold by St.CROIX. These are NOT St.Croix blanks! Nor are they painted St.Croix blanks as some people are saying.

Thanks for clarifying this Karen. I have always understood these to be St Croix blanks because of what I have read. That said, I still can't wait to get a good look at these at the expo.

Thanks again, Bob

#13 shfishinsticks

shfishinsticks
  • Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 11:25 PM

[quote name="jumper" post="224376" timestamp="1422151876"][quote name="Bingham Enterprises" post="224363" timestamp="1422111758"]I still can't wait to get a good look at these at the expo.
Thanks again, Bob[/quote]

Make sure you wave their bright flashlight over them. It simulates what they look like in the sun. The colors are AMAZING.

#14 elderbarry

elderbarry
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:02 AM

I guess I come from a different culture and generation as the only color I wanted from a rod blank was what I put on it with thread wraps on the guides and the butt wrap weaves.  Don't really mean to offend anyone, if you want the flashiest rod on the river, that's up to you, but I don't think the fish will agree with you, other than the one that buys your rod!

#15 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:36 PM

Karen, thanks for the clarification.  The article on St. Croix that I referred to earlier stated that the stringent quality standards are the same for both factories.  That' impressive!

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users