Photo

Agate tips.

3 replies to this topic

#1 blueline_junkie

blueline_junkie
  • Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:23 AM

I just bought a matching pair of size 5.5 agate tips off Ebay and was wondering if someone could tell me what they were originally used for? My first thought would be maybe they were used for silk lines back in the day but that may just be way off base.

Thanks
John
"There is no bigger fan of the fly fisherman, than the worm!"

#2 AgMD

AgMD
  • Members
  • 891 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:01 PM

I believe you are right on the mark. Silk lines can pick up fine abrasive bits of sand and grit even in fairly clean water. That grit has cut grooves in many a tip top and many a fly reel. This is a particular problem when wet fly fishing. The sunken line picks up more dirt and grit than a floating line and when fishing a "worked" wet fly or streamer there is a lot more abrasion to the tip top when the line is stripped in or played out. The answer was an agate or agatine tip top. Better wear resistance but more prone to chipping and breaking. For a while, in the 20's and 30's, many bamboo rods were made with one tip fitted with a perfection type tip and the other with a agate tip. Perfection for dry fly fishing and agate for wet. That little bit of weight out at the end of 8 1/2 or 9 1/2 foot of rod can make a big difference in action and produce a slower casting tip.
AgMD
Now fishin' with Spam may be crazy for sure
But it sure beats fishin with a ten dollar lure

#3 blueline_junkie

blueline_junkie
  • Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:03 PM

My original intent was to use the tips on a personal rod for myself but I just don't know how they will work with today's fly lines.
"There is no bigger fan of the fly fisherman, than the worm!"

#4 AgMD

AgMD
  • Members
  • 891 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:02 PM

Silk is thinner so they are likely to be a bit small. If they are large enough for say a 4 wt line they are likely to be a bit heavy for a 4 wt rod tip. And --- while they might be light enough for a 6 wt rod they might be a bit small in diameter for a 6 wt line. I can see only one solution. You must start fishing silk lines. It is the next station on the route to bamboo madness so you might as well start now. Then build yourself an 8 or 8 1/2 streamer/wet fly rod to fit your new 6 wt silk line. Use the tips.
If you do try one out on a rod, and I think you should, you might mount it with hot glue. Then if you decide you don't like it, you can take it off easily and the replacement will mount up without any need to clean the rod blank. Just add a bit more glue. The stuff used for building arrows is the right stuff. Golden Witch had it IIRC.
AgMD
Now fishin' with Spam may be crazy for sure
But it sure beats fishin with a ten dollar lure

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users