Photo

Ungluing a tip and redoing it again?

4 replies to this topic

#1 parabellum

parabellum
  • Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 07:46 PM

In the last few years I had to throw away a few tips after the very tip got "flattened" somehow either during the binding process or the initial post-binding straightening. I try not to apply too much pressure with a roller, but maybe it gets away from me from time to time. Anyway, bottom line is the very tip of the tip gets flattened and loses that round-hex shape.

Has anyone ever tried to just undo the gluing and try to salvage the tip strips? If so how? I use Nyatex glue and for this particular tip it hasn't been oven cured, just room temp cured for 24 hours.

Cheers

#2 fishbum

fishbum
  • Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:46 AM

I have taken rod sections apart that were glued with Nyatex. You will have to separate the whole section and start over. Take your time. Use your forms to hold the individual strips while you scrape off the old adhesive. Before gluing, make sure the individual strips are as straight as possible.

Jerry

#3 parabellum

parabellum
  • Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:51 AM

Did you just use a heat gun to melt the glue or some other method?

#4 fishbum

fishbum
  • Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:03 AM

Use a heat gun. The Nyatex does not give up until the temperature is over 400 degrees F. Split the section in half first theen go back and separate the three pieces from each half. The separation process will put some unwanted bends in the strips. These need to be removed before gluing things back together. A piece of old hacksaw blade ground smooth makes a nice tool to separate the pieces.

Good luck with your project.

Jerry

#5 parabellum

parabellum
  • Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:15 AM

Thanks! I'll give it a try today out of curiosity

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users