Photo

Issue with tip contruction

4 replies to this topic

#1 PGR44

PGR44
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 04:09 PM

I have made a few rods and I always have the same problem. When I run the tip section through my closed hand while bending it, the tip takes a set. The tips do not return to the initial position after bending.

1) I heat treat the bamboo following either the Garrison or Cattanach procedure.
2) I glue the rods with Titebond II
3) I bind the rods with a Cattanach designed binder.

Prior to the final planing I wet the strips but I let them dry for a long time prior to gluing.

I would appreciate any help top determine what I am doing wrong or the source of the problem.

Thanks.

#2 JW Healy

JW Healy
  • Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:34 PM

It sounds like the TBII has not fully set when you first flex the section. You don't provide a lot of information so I am going to assume that you apply adequate glue, bind the glued up strips tightly, and give the TBII at least 24 hrs. for the glue to set before flexing the section. If this is so, you might try final planning the strips dry. Damp strips could keep the glue from holding. I started with TBII and then switched to TBIII and have not experienced this problem but I have never done final planning on wet strips.

JW

#3 PGR44

PGR44
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 05:34 PM

I think I am applying enough glue and the binding pressure is adequate. The glue lines are good and I don't experience any delaminations. The glue shoul be dry enogh because I wait days or even weeks before proceeding to the next step. Is the type of glue my problem?

#4 JW Healy

JW Healy
  • Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 08:46 PM

TBII is a good glue and TBIII is better. I have used it on 46 rods with no problems and I know several rod makers who have used it on a lot more rods than that. If your glue up regime is OK then the likely source for the problem is either inadequate heat treating or bad cane.

JW

#5 canerods

canerods
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:28 PM

You might want to glue up some scrap test strips using various glue's – to determine if it's glue or cane problem. There has been some discussion about the TB glues in the woodworking forums.... some good and some bad. I've always used URAC and now Unibond 800 with excellent results.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users