Photo

Spinning rod guide foot preparation

spinning rod guide

3 replies to this topic

#1 River Rat

River Rat
  • Members
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Fly fishing, bamboo rod making, canoeing, educating kids about the natural world.

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:22 PM

I'm making a bamboo spinning rod for a friend and have a question about preparing the feet of the guides for this rod. I'm using the standard single-foot spinning rod guides which have a curve under the foot to fit the round blanks where they are usually installed.  I filed the guide feet flat for an earlier rod but this rod seems to be big enough that this may not be necessary.  Is there an advantage in flattening the bottom of the foot or does it really matter as long as the guide fits on the rod?

Thanks,

Cliff

Cliff Parmer

If it's worth your time to do, it's worth doing to the best of your ability.

#2 Galt

Galt
  • Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:30 PM

Full contact would be best- espesially if you use color preserver. With only a single foot, you would like to give them the best chance to stay there. If you epoxy coat your wraps--disregaurd. Make sure there are no sharp edges to dig into the cane.

Galt

"Illegitimus non carborundum"

#3 River Rat

River Rat
  • Members
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Fly fishing, bamboo rod making, canoeing, educating kids about the natural world.

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:17 PM

Thanks for your thoughts.  I've had bad experiences with color preservers so I use FishHawk silk which doesn not require a color preserver, although some colors seem to be hard to get.  I think I'm going to varnish the guide wraps with this rod; I epoxied the last one and thought the wraps got a bit bulks even though I used a thinned epoxy.  I think it was ThreadMaster Lite thinned about 30% with DNA.

Cliff Parmer

If it's worth your time to do, it's worth doing to the best of your ability.

#4 Galt

Galt
  • Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:23 PM

I have found that varnished wraps bond to the rod quite well. The guides should be fine.

Galt

"Illegitimus non carborundum"

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users