Photo

Pouring finish

64 replies to this topic

#1 timmy

timmy
  • Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 04:22 PM

After an "Incident" involving my cat, my dip tube, 40 worth of varnish, and an expensive carpet. I had to find a new way to finish my rods.
In the past I've tried brushing, requires a steadier hand than mine. I've tried appling with my fingers, very messy and I got runs. I've wiped on, difficult with guides in place, and I prefer the look of a rod dipped after the wraps are on. I've read about a hair-brained scheme of pouring a jugfull of varnish over all your hard work, the slightest inconsistancy in the thickness of my varnish will cause a run. It couldn't possibly work, silly idea, but I'm out of options.
I hung my section from the ceiling (After doing the usual things, masking of, sanding, wipe down with white spirit.) Thinned the last of my varnish stock (The rest of it was full of cat hair and best knoted worsted wool) put it in a jug, took a deep breath, and poured...

It worked, I mean it worked REALLY well. Probably the best finish I've achived in my (short) rod making career.

The technical details are these:
I thinned the varnish a lot, maybe 4 parts thinners to 6 parts varnish, the thickness of thin maple syrup.
The technique is to start at the top, twist the rod to coat all the flats, and the follow the varnish "front" as it rolls down topping up behind any parts that are moving slower. It goes quite quickly (the rod I did was a 6' one piece and it took maybe 20 seconds) but it really looks after itself.

The highly thinned varnish flows easily over wraps and around guide feet, and because its thin doesn't seem to suffer from pooling and runs as much. It also cures quickly.
Because of the thinner coat, you'll want more aplications (I was still dialing in my dip tube and I like a fairly thin finish, but two pours is more than one dip) I'm very happy with two.

If you haven't got your finishing system sorted, try this. Infact if you dip, try this, it's that good, and a lot easier than it sounds.

#2 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 04:33 PM

Thats awesome Timmy! clapping.gif

I believe it is in one of the Best of the Planing Form books, but someone at one point suggested using a turkey baster to apply finish in much the way you describe. Sounds like a great alternative to a dip/drip tube. Thanks for sharing. thumbup.gif

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#3 timmy

timmy
  • Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 06:10 AM

Thanks Chris,
A turkey baster was my frist thought, but I didn't have one in the house and you know how it is when you've decided to do something.
I will try a turkey baster when I get my hands on one. Actually a friend of mine works in artifical insemination, maybe he's got something I could use?

#4 Jamie Crona

Jamie Crona
  • Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 03:01 PM

Actually a friend of mine works in artifical insemination, maybe he's got something I could use?

nilly.gif bugeyes.gif crazy.gif nilly.gif eek.gif Jumpy.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif Ahhhhhhhhhh, my brain can't take it... too many jokes, too many jokes...

#5 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 03:44 PM

popcorn.gif

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#6 catskilljohn

catskilljohn
  • Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 09:03 PM

Timmy,
Thanks to your clumsy cat, and your suggestion, I have a near perfect finish on my 2/2 7'1"er! Did just what you recommended, though I thinned varnish app.30%, and poured away. Recycled the mix for all 3 pieces, and redid them every hour, 5 times. I am very happy with the finish, just picked up a few tiny dust specs, and will buff them out when cured. Thanks for the idea, CJ

#7 Fly1

Fly1

bamboo Weenie

• Members
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 09:28 PM

Makes me think that my idea of using a hand spray bottle to spray on a finish may work rolleyes.gif

Ken cool.gif
You can only be lost if you care where your going. - Harvey Morrison

Credit River Cane Rods
Credit River Anglers Association
Ken Paterson, Streetsville, Ontario

#8 dlester

dlester

Hardy Addict

• Members
  • 964 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:47 AM

Timmy, that's a great idea, and probably my best option. Can I ask how you thinned your varnish? I have MOW and I'm not planning on buying something else.

Dave

Dave

I am haunted by waiters....

#9 timmy

timmy
  • Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:25 AM

I thin with white sprit, I think that's napha in the US.
A lot of people use Turps and other things but I like white sprit because it evaporates quickly. I think that lets the varnish skin over faster. It is also easily availiable and, importantly for me, cheap.
I believe that there is an issue with long-term storeage of varnish that has been heavily thinned with W.S., I keep my main stock full-strength, and then thin it for the job in hand.

Cheers,

Tim.

#10 millerwb

millerwb
  • Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 10:35 AM

I have mine thined with Naptha and have it stored in my dip tube. It has been there a year or more and still is fine. Just make sure your sturage container is air tight.

Brian

#11 jayhake

jayhake
  • Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 10:40 AM

Timmy and Catskilljohn,

Just wondering what you guys use to catch the varnish after you pour it on? I am getting ready to finish a rod here soon and was thinking about trying this.

Thanks,

Jay
"Obsessions don't seem extraordinary if it's just the way you are." ~ Jim Harrison

#12 timmy

timmy
  • Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 11:06 AM

jay,
I just use a tray lined with tin-foil. that way I can just carefully pick up the foil and pour the varnish back into the high-tech delivery system (jug).

#13 jayhake

jayhake
  • Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 11:19 AM

Timmy,

Thanks very much. I was going to wipe on the varnish for this rod, now I have changed my mind. I have a low exposed ceiling in my basement shop that will be just perfect for this method.

Cheers,
Jay
"Obsessions don't seem extraordinary if it's just the way you are." ~ Jim Harrison

#14 catskilljohn

catskilljohn
  • Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 06:18 PM

I used two coffee cans, bent slightly at the top to flow the varnish controllably, and when I am pouring with one, I am catching with the other, and switch them. This is the best idea you have on finishing, and easy as anything! CJ

#15 flyman219

flyman219
  • Members
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Fly fishing, fly tying, rod building, restoring old outboard motors, home remodeling, family stuff, my kids, retirement fun!

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:34 AM

Timmy, That is a most interesting idea! Can you tell me if you keep your pouring container positioned at the top of your rod section or do you follow the shaft from the top to the bottom with your pouring container as you pour? I usually only thin the amount of finish I plan on using for a rod, about how many ounces of finish will I need for a pouring routine like yours?
Thanks
Mike

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users