Photo

Rod building events or the lack there of

5 replies to this topic

#1 firedad

firedad
  • Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:47 PM

Why aren't there any shows out west? We don't even have much in the way of fly fishing shows out here. Most of the people I know are die hard fly fisherman and those who aren't throw metal

#2 jsid6g

jsid6g
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:08 PM

there was one or 2 in the Bay Area for SPEY fishing check out spey fish forum on the web 

#3 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,450 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 11:14 AM

It's not just a lack out West, there are not many anywhere specifically focused on rod building. Just a niche market. Outside of Tom's in NC, and the cane rod (Greyrock) one here in Michigan I don't really know of many others anywhere.

mcfr.jpg

“If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you'll spend your life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing things you don't like doing, which is stupid. Better to have a short life, doing what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=VPCp5xsP-vk

#4 canerodscom

canerodscom
  • Members
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 08:50 AM

There are plenty of bamboo gatherings.  I'll list a few places, though I am sure to forget some.  There is one in April in British Columbia, May in Brevard, North Carolina, June in Grayling Michigan, July in Marble, Colorado, August in Lyons, Colorado, September, September in Livingston Manor, New York, October in Mountain Home, Arkansas and in the California Sierras, another in central Canada every years, and plenty more.  The European Bamboo Rodmakers Association has an annual gathering in trout country, as do my Italian friends.

I started the Southern Rodmakers Gathering in Arkansas 20 years ago.  If you would like a gathering in your area, well, start one!

Harry

Harry Boyd
maker@canerods.com
http://www.canerods.com
Heat Treating Fixtures and Ovens
(318)435-5476 home phone
(318)282-1825 Shop/cell phone

#5 phg

phg
  • Members
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:00 PM

Actually, the Carolina Cane Gathering will be on April 24 and 25 this year (2017).  That's a Monday and Tuesday, for those checking their calendars and thinking I made a mistake.  There's a story behind that date change, but it's not worth repeating. 

#6 canerodscom

canerodscom
  • Members
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:18 AM

Actually, the Carolina Cane Gathering will be on April 24 and 25 this year (2017).  That's a Monday and Tuesday, for those checking their calendars and thinking I made a mistake.  There's a story behind that date change, but it's not worth repeating. 

Thanks for the correction phg...

Harry

Harry Boyd
maker@canerods.com
http://www.canerods.com
Heat Treating Fixtures and Ovens
(318)435-5476 home phone
(318)282-1825 Shop/cell phone

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users