Photo

My Attempt at Making Burl Reel Seats

5 replies to this topic

#1 SierraNets

SierraNets
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:15 PM

I have been playing around on the lathe for the last month and made a few reel seats. It started when my buddy asked me to turn him a maple & Barolina Cherry Burl reel seat for some conventional rods.

I really like doing it, but it is a bit tricky with the inlays.

Here are a few. All have been Vacuum stabilized.

I made this one first. It was Carolina Cherry Burl with copper inlays in the burl inclusions. I made it for a buddy who makes his own conventional rods. I really like Carolina Cherry Burl because it has world-class looks, but is an urban tree and only available in very limited circles and in limited quantities. You will never see this stuff at a lumber yard!

Here is another I made for him in Maple Burl. He wanted the bark inclusions left as-is.

Pete (Rod O Rama) at Renaissance rods is the proud owner of these two Carolina Cherry Burl Seats with Copper inlay in both and Turquoise added, piece by piece, to the other.

Here they are leaning on his new net I just shipped to him. Claro Walnut Burl, Curly Maple, Mahogany & Wenge. There is a copper & Black Stone inlay in a natural inclusion on the handle. The handle has been vacuum stabilized.

I made these for a guy in my Club, Chad Schiel. He saw Pete's CCB/Turquoise seat and ordered one up in my Black oak burl. I played around with it a bit and thought a butt other than the cheap little metal one they send with the hardware would spruce it up. I made it unbeknownst to him, and he chose to use it on his rod.

Here is my latest. I love it. It is Eucalyptus burl with a touch of sapwood to give it character. It has really nice tight burl eyes.

Now, if I just wrapped rods, I'd be set! I aspire to wrap my own rods, but I am just starting out, and wood is my thing, so reel seats for now it is! Next up I think I'll turn some Cocobolo & Bacote seats.

Thanks for lookin'.

#2 Rod O Rama

Rod O Rama
  • Members
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:54 PM

Greg,

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, I am now the proud owner of both the heirloom quality net and the inserts. And they are too slick for words. I may never turn another insert again, hint hint Greg. Since Greg was beta testing them I had him turn them for Lemke LC1 hardware. Now I just have to find a blank worthy of them and the hardware.
http://www.renaissanceflyrods.com/
If I ever build the perfect rod, I'll retire.

#3 Whaler17

Whaler17
  • Members
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Fishing,Making Fishing Tackle,Woodworking,RC,Guitar.

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:00 PM

Wow!

#4 elderbarry

elderbarry
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 10:55 AM

Really first class work!  As an aside, you won't find burls at a mill because it is considered waste.  So the next time you go to a lumber mill, ask if you can see their garbage/waste pile.  Remember, lumber mills only sell straight grained boards, the rest they sell as firewood!

#5 wjensen

wjensen
  • Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 11:02 AM

Those are beautiful!  

#6 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 11:54 AM

Nice job Greg, must have missed the start of the post somewhere.

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users