Photo

New Switch Rod

10 replies to this topic

#1 highstick1

highstick1
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:32 PM

A 10' 6" - 5 wt Switch Rod I recently finished. Ebony reel seat and butt cap, with custom machined hardware and winding check from Bellingers. The taper started as a Garrison 215, and went through considerable modifications to get to this final taper. A nice progressive action that casts a 250 grain line very nicely.

Dave Dozer
Corvallis, Oregon
www.bamboopursuits.com

[/img]
[/img]
[/img]

#2 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:36 PM

Man that is fantastic! Didn't know that bamboo could be made in long lengths. Thanks for sharing.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#3 ThomasR

ThomasR
  • Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:53 AM

very nice indeed, mind if i "borrow" the front grip shape for my next rod ? smile.gif

Best regards,

Thomas

#4 rsa

rsa
  • Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:28 AM

Beautiful "Blondie" Dave! thumbsup.gif Which ferrules did you use? I mean internal diameters..?

r wink.gif

#5 highstick1

highstick1
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:05 PM

QUOTE (ThomasR @ Jun 5 2012, 01:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
very nice indeed, mind if i "borrow" the front grip shape for my next rod ? smile.gif

Actually, the front grip shape is somewhat similar to what Sage does on their Z-Axis Graphite Switch Rods, only smaller in diameter. The rear grip was my design, including adding a little weight to the butt cap to help balance the rod. Matched with the right weight reel, the rod is feels amazingly light in the hand.

Dave

#6 highstick1

highstick1
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE (rsa @ Jun 5 2012, 08:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Beautiful "Blondie" Dave! thumbsup.gif Which ferrules did you use? I mean internal diameters..?

r wink.gif

Hi R,

Thanks for the kind words. I get all my ferrules from Bellingers. The upper ferrule was a #13 (13/64"), and the lower ferrule is a #21 (21/64"). That #21 ferrule sure is a BIG ferrule...makes a wonderful POP when you pull the rod apart!

Dave

#7 highstick1

highstick1
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:14 PM

QUOTE (John T. @ Jun 3 2012, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Man that is fantastic! Didn't know that bamboo could be made in long lengths. Thanks for sharing.

Hi John,

Thanks. Yes, I've now moved up to building the longer switch rods also. The client for this rod wanted something to swing streamers and soft hackles for larger trout. He was looking for a two-handed rod that would cast nicely to about 50 or 60 feet, and wanted to stay with a lighter line. This rod casts a 250 grain line very nicely. It's not intended to cast to longer distances like the longer spey rods, but for medium-length casts, it's pretty fun to cast.

Dave

#8 BowBound

BowBound
  • Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:08 AM

I'd be interested in a build like this down the road (maybe two rods away). How do you come about your tapers and what lines do you prefer?

#9 jfischer

jfischer
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:38 AM

Good morning, very nice little two-hander. I like the colorcombination black and straw, thats stylish. Please tell us how it behaves in casting and fishing. Thanks for showing.
Jürgen
Ps: why do you call this a switch rod? Can you cast that single handed? Or is this a missinterpretation of the wording Switch Rod?
Petri Heil
Visit My Website

#10 highstick1

highstick1
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE (BowBound @ Jun 5 2012, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd be interested in a build like this down the road (maybe two rods away). How do you come about your tapers and what lines do you prefer?

There are very few tapers for Switch rods published out there so I developed my own for this rod. I wanted a progressive action with this rod so I started with a Garrison 215 taper (8' 6" 7 wt rod) as my starting point. I then made many, many adjustments to the overall taper, but tried to stay true to the progressive action. My feeling is that is very important to consider how and where the rod is going to be fished, and then design and build a rod around those conditions. Because the client for this rod wanted to swing lighter flies on or just under the surface, and was looking at casting distances of no more than 50 to 60 feet, a progressive taper was a great match for that. If he was looking for something that could cast greater distances, I think I would have looked at a parabolic taper rather than progressive.

As for lines, it really comes down to how the rod is going to be fished. We tried several Scandi Heads and Switch lines. A Buelah Elixir 250 grain Scandi Head was a fantastic match for this rod. The switch lines we tried worked ok, just not as well. For all my single handed bamboo fly rods, my personal choice is one of the Wulff Lines. The Joan Wulff Signature lines are wonderful lines for bamboo rods, and excel at presenting a fly. They aren't as strong when it comes to distance, but "casting as far as I can" isn't what bamboo is all about. The Wulff long belly lines are perform very wll on bamboo rods.

Dave

#11 highstick1

highstick1
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE (jfischer @ Jun 5 2012, 10:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good morning, very nice little two-hander. I like the colorcombination black and straw, thats stylish. Please tell us how it behaves in casting and fishing. Thanks for showing.
Jürgen
Ps: why do you call this a switch rod? Can you cast that single handed? Or is this a missinterpretation of the wording Switch Rod?

Hi Jurgen,

The parabolic action of this rod was just what a we were looking for. It has a wonderfully smooth casting action. I wouldn't describe it as a rod that will cast "clear across the river", but it's very nice out to about 60 feet. Because these longer bamboo rods can start to feel somewhat heavy, I added a little weight in the butt cap to balance the rod better. The client added a Loop Classic Fly Reel (LHW, 5-8 Weight) to this rod. It was pretty amazing how light-in-the-hand this rod felt when casting....a perfect match of reel to rod.

Oh....Switch rod? Perhaps that term isn't used much in Europe. All the rod manufactures here in the U.S. are calling their smaller two-handed rods (10 to 12 feet) Switch rods, implying you can cast them either with one hand or two. This rod is light enought to cast effectively with one or two hands.

Dave

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users