Photo

In progress....

4 replies to this topic

#1 blueline_junkie

blueline_junkie
  • Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:44 PM

While I am waiting on the hardware to arrive for my third build, I thought I would post a few pics of the reel seat and the grip. I turned the reel seat out of zebrawood and used struble reel seat hardware and cork grip. The guides will be black with highland green and classic chestnut wraps. Hopefully the hardware will be here real soon.

Thanks for looking,
John

"There is no bigger fan of the fly fisherman, than the worm!"

#2 Eastslope

Eastslope
  • Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:02 PM

QUOTE (blueline_junkie @ Apr 9 2012, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While I am waiting on the hardware to arrive for my third build, I thought I would post a few pics of the reel seat and the grip. I turned the reel seat out of zebrawood and used struble reel seat hardware and cork grip. The guides will be black with highland green and classic chestnut wraps. Hopefully the hardware will be here real soon.

Thanks for looking,
John

Looking good John, can't wait to see the finished product. Can I ask what wrap did you use on the cork grip - it doesn't look like the usual rattan?
For rod restoration and refinishing services see: http://eastsloperodw...shawwebspace.ca

#3 blueline_junkie

blueline_junkie
  • Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:55 AM

QUOTE (Eastslope @ Apr 12 2012, 12:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (blueline_junkie @ Apr 9 2012, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for looking,
John

Looking good John, can't wait to see the finished product. Can I ask what wrap did you use on the cork grip - it doesn't look like the usual rattan?

Thank you for the kind words. The cork is wrapped with waxed leather lace. I tried to think of something different and I kinda like it. Best part is, it's not glued on in anyway and if it ever does come off, the cork grip is fully intact underneath. I treated each tag end similar to wrapping a guide foot and the wax provides enough grip to keep the lace from pulling loose. I guess only time will tell how well it holds up.

#4 blueline_junkie

blueline_junkie
  • Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:03 AM

If I can get the right chucks I need for my lathe, I hope to inset the lace wrap on the next rod I build.

#5 Eastslope

Eastslope
  • Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE (blueline_junkie @ Apr 12 2012, 08:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I can get the right chucks I need for my lathe, I hope to inset the lace wrap on the next rod I build.

That's thinking outside of the box. thumbsup.gif
I would like to see that too.
For rod restoration and refinishing services see: http://eastsloperodw...shawwebspace.ca

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users