Photo

Payne 195 704-3

9 replies to this topic

#1 Bowbiker

Bowbiker
  • Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:47 PM

When my fishin' buddy called last September and said he was interested in a bamboo rod, I immediately thought of Chris Carlin and some of the nice work he has done here on the RBF. Graham kinda lost interest, but not me, I was hooked.
Anyways I got a hold of Chris and we came up with a Payne 196 for the fishing I had in mind in a high mountain stream full of Cutthroat trout up to 18 inches long.

Something about this pic I really like.........reminds me of a certain plunge pool in that high moutain stream!

[img]

I had saved an Amboyna reel seat insert that I got from Bill Worden for a Struble U24 a few years back(the year the Red Sox beat the Colorado Rockies in the World Seies), but when I finshed this one up and dipped it in the Spar Helmsman I knew this was the right color for the flamed Payne 196. Chris also supplied the size 10 Agate Stripper, winding check and the Pearsll's Gossamer Java Brown thread. I decided not to put on the Chestnut trim.

I used the invisible thread method for finishing that Chris has pinned in Bamboo Rods - General.
Snake Brand double foot guides complete the ensemble.

The cork for the six inch Cigar grip came from the very first choices of rings from the last shipment from Matt Draft. Keep up the good work, Matt.

A few trials and tribulations along the way, but overall I am quite pleased with the way it turned out.

Less than three months till opening day in that high mountain stream!!!

Cheers,
Dick Seymour

ps. I am attending a photography seminar at one of the local fly shops tomorrow morning.

#2 kbproctor

kbproctor
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:07 PM

Very nice, Dick! The colors all flow superbly.

I will be giving my little cane scrounge rod a try tomorrow in a little pool about 200-250 yards from me right now. Fishing season? What is that? smile.gif
Kevin

Colorado Custom Fly Rods, Ltd.

If your parents never had kids, chances are you won't either....

#3 mdraft1

mdraft1
  • Members
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:09 AM

Very nice! Did you dip the blank? The finish looks great.

www.proofflyfishing.com

Your source for fair priced, high quality rod building supplies.  Snake Brand guides, cork, thread, blanks, rod finish, tools, etc...  

#4 Bowbiker

Bowbiker
  • Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:00 AM

QUOTE (mdraft1 @ Mar 24 2012, 10:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very nice! Did you dip the blank? The finish looks great.

Hi Matt,
Yes indeed!! I conquered my fears of the dip tube and "go dipping" every chance I get now. In fact I missed a bit of epoxy when I glued on the reel seat , and when I was cleaning that up I dulled the finish on the reelseat insert, so I sanded it down with 400 grit, wrapped the end of the handle and threads on the reel seat with Teflon tape and dipped up to the handle two more times. Re-sanded with 4000, 6000, 8000 and 12000 grit micromesh and it turned out quite lovely. I love dipping!.

Thanks again for the great cork on the last order. Looking forward to the next batch.

Cheers,
Dick Seymour

#5 blueline_junkie

blueline_junkie
  • Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:33 PM

Very nice! Is that a fully wrapped ferrule? I like it!
"There is no bigger fan of the fly fisherman, than the worm!"

#6 Bowbiker

Bowbiker
  • Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:44 PM

QUOTE (blueline_junkie @ Mar 24 2012, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you very much, and yes, the ferrules are fully wrapped. I got the idea off of Chris Carlin's web-site, in the Photo Gallery.

Regards,
Dick Seymour

#7 bamann345

bamann345
  • Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:26 AM

Very nice job. clapping.gif

William

#8 Eastslope

Eastslope
  • Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE (Bowbiker @ Mar 24 2012, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you very much, and yes, the ferrules are fully wrapped. I got the idea off of Chris Carlin's web-site, in the Photo Gallery.

Regards,
Dick Seymour

Nice work Dick, please let us know how this rod performs and thanks for the building details along with your posted pics - informative and a nice touch. I finished out a Carlin DB795h (7'9" 5wt 3pc hollowbuilt based on a Dickerson taper I believe) this winter. Should be ideal for the Crowsnest River above Lundbreck Falls.

Cheers,

Ron
For rod restoration and refinishing services see: http://eastsloperodw...shawwebspace.ca

#9 Bowbiker

Bowbiker
  • Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE (Eastslope @ Mar 26 2012, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Bowbiker @ Mar 24 2012, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Regards,
Dick Seymour

Nice work Dick, please let us know how this rod performs and thanks for the building details along with your posted pics - informative and a nice touch. I finished out a Carlin DB795h (7'9" 5wt 3pc hollowbuilt based on a Dickerson taper I believe) this winter. Should be ideal for the Crowsnest River above Lundbreck Falls.

Cheers,

Ron

Ron,
Thanks for the kind words. I just wanted to point out that it is a Payne 196, not a Payne 195. Chris Carlin pointed out that the Payne 195 is a 3wt. and this one, a Payne 196, is a 4 wt.

Cheers,
Dick Seymour.

#10 Eastslope

Eastslope
  • Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:28 PM

That rod will be perfect for the upper Livingstone River, Racehorse and Dutch Creeks. I use my 7' 2pc 4wt Payne 97 taper for fishing dries on those waters.
For rod restoration and refinishing services see: http://eastsloperodw...shawwebspace.ca

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users