Photo

Poll - 4wt Taper

17 replies to this topic

Poll: Pick the taper for the '06 FTOTY bamboo rod

Pick the taper for the '06 FTOTY bamboo rod

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 03:02 PM

Now we're into the meat of the rod. This poll will decide the overall action of the finished rod.

Shown above are the stress curves for the different tapers in RodDNA format. For an explanation on how to interpret stress curve charts go here or here.

So lets see what you guys think, and I'd love to see some comments from people who have made or fished with these tapers to better explain their actions to those who may not be familiar with them.

smile.gif

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#2 rhino1379

rhino1379
  • Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 06:58 PM

i have heard all these names but to wich is a better taper of boo that is were i am undecided. so i think i will keep out of the voteing and let some one who know them all for sure do the voting i am sure it will be a great rod because i kept out any ways good luck and tight lines rhino....................
limit you take not take your limit: al linder

#3 Mark Shamburg

Mark Shamburg
  • Members
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 07:46 PM

Perfectionist! After casting one at CRR I'm simply in awe of how well it cast.

Mark

#4 rsa

rsa
  • Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 04:00 AM

I don't know the Dickerson and the Payne... sad.gif but I made two Sir Ds and two rods with Perfectionist taper. Both are good tapers but quite different. The Cattanach's is fast - stiff butt /soft tip, Young's is semiparabolic the stresses are distributed more evenly...
I vote for the Perfectionist smile.gif

rsa biggrin.gif

#5 Jamie Crona

Jamie Crona
  • Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:06 AM

Mark,
Why are you in such awe of the perfectionist? The reason I am asking is I have built the P97, Dickerson & Sir D, and I like them in that order... But, I have been thinking of trying a Young para taper and your thoughts & experiences would be appreciated.

Jamie

#6 djpeet

djpeet
  • Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 06:48 PM

I just built a para 15 and I have to say it is one of the finest casting rods I have ever owned. It is a lightly medium-to slow action and it can cast a country mile. I built it as a six weight. exceptionally tight loops that just lay down beautifully on the water and the flex across the entire rod just lets you know you have something in your hand--you know what I mean? That's why I like mine... headbang.gif

#7 Mark Shamburg

Mark Shamburg
  • Members
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 11:35 PM

Jamie,

I didn't get to fish with it, but lawn casting, I fell in love with it. I usually tend towards faster progressive rods and have been told for a long time I would hate parabolic action rods. (How wrong they were...) From what I understand the perfectionist is not very parabolic and that slightly stiffened mid actually made for prety nice snappy short casts. It loaded great with just a little line out but I could still cast nearly a full line... Not bad for a 4 weight. On top of that it was amazingly accurate and threw nice tight loops.

I must have cast 30 or more rods at CRR and that one impressed me above all the others. It was really really sweet. The only other rod that came close to impressing me as much was the Martha Marie. In fact I liked every PHY taper I cast except the Para 15 which I just couldn't quite get the feel of. The Para 17 on the other hand... I put out the entire line plus a few yards of backing past the tip top, making probably my personal best distance cast.

If you build one and don't like it you can always send it to Colorado and I'll send you some pictures of it with some nice fish. wink.gif

Mark

#8 Jamie Crona

Jamie Crona
  • Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 08:07 AM

Thanks Mark,
I'm considering the Para 14, but was a little hesitant as I have never cast a parabolic rod. I think you have sold me on it. Beside if I don't like it I can always send it to Colorado and you could send me some pictures of it with a few of your meager "fish"... hysterical.gif

Jamie

#9 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 12:18 PM

I made up a Para 14 a while back and I really do not like it that much. It is more parabolic and softer feeling than the Para 15 by a long shot, and if your timing isn't spot on you are in for some seriously ugly casts. It lacked the backbone and power of the Para 15 and didn't have the versatility or delicacy of the Perfectionist. The euphamism 'buggy whip' comes to mind when waggling it.

Speaking of the Perfectionist, I also really like that taper. It looks like a regular PHY parabolic rod on paper, but in the field it doesn't begin feeling parabolic at all until you get a decent amount of line out. Before that it feels like a medium-fast action 4wt. I especially like the way the tip turns over - hard to describe but it just has a great action. Once you get some line out the soft butt gradually kicks in and you can easily throw a lot of line.

I agree with your order of preferences Jamie and I still prefer the P97 myself. It is just so smooooth, versatile and easy to cast that it is hard not to love. wub.gif

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#10 djpeet

djpeet
  • Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 12:29 PM

How do you think the 97 compares with the 196? Are there many noticable differences?

#11 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 12:34 PM

Beats me djpeet. dunno.gif I've never cast a 196, nor have I messed around with the stress curve (yet!), so I couldn't say with any certainty.

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#12 chemprof2001

chemprof2001
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 01:22 PM

I'd vote for the Payne 97...but that's just my likes.

Mark Delaney

#13 matsoberg

matsoberg
  • Members
  • 727 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 11:54 PM

As I havenīt cast an original of these gems, I just have to vote for the copy Iīve cast that I liked the most and thatīs the Payne.

The Dickerson is not my style and the Cattanach s even tippier. The Perfectionist is a great rod but I like the 97 better. The Granger might be to my liking, but I havenīt cast one, so I cannot vote for it.

Thank you,

// Mats

#14 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:52 AM

I'm going to shut down this poll as of tomorrow, Wednesday, August 23rd 5pm EST, so vote now if you haven't already!

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#15 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 12:14 PM

Oh no! Come on guys, we need someone to break the tie. smile.gif

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic