Photo

Culm Treatment

18 replies to this topic

Poll: What color should the finished rod be?

What color should the finished rod be?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 OSD

OSD
  • Super Moderators
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 11:42 AM

I have been flaming all my cane because it's not clear and free of blemishes, but I haven't noticed any reduction in strength

dunno.gif

Bob

#17 Troutgetter

Troutgetter
  • Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 11:56 AM

Bob,
I don't think you will either!
But there has been a lot of talk over the years of the detrimental effect of heat on nodes and the Millwards book came out which talked about the damage that flaming does to cane, and then there was the "Boo under the microscope" article which showed apparent damage to 'boo when flamed.
I simply, by imperical eveidence, have a hard time with those accusations.
I wish (not really!) that I could say I have had a rod broken due to a fish. The only rod that has ever broken that I made (that I know of) was due to someone using a 2/3 wt as a walking stick on the San Juan!

Mike
PS sounds like this is turning into another thread! Should we move this discussion to a different forum?
www.FishBamboo.com

#18 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 11:59 AM

I love that picture Mike!! I stumbled across it on your website a while back then promptly forgot where I'd seen it until a couple weeks ago when I was checking out your pics. Thanks for posting it - way cool!

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

#19 Carlin

Carlin

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 09:34 PM

That is all she wrote folks. The final tally for this poll is:

Dark Flamed - 6
Medium Flamed - 18
Blonde - 1
Mottled - 8

So Medium Flamed it is. I'll get cracking on the actual build in the next day or two, and get a new poll up soon for everyone's enjoyment. thumbup.gif

Chris

FNRSBanner1.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users