Photo

CTS Build

4 replies to this topic

#1 sstrength

sstrength
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:48 PM

Newest build.  CTS Affinity X, 9' 5wt.  Snake Brand guides, REC hardware.  Handle and spacer turned out of Coolibah Burl.  Fuji Ultra Poly in chestnut with copper trim.

ewxdQ8K.jpg?2

YOoFOZA.jpg?1

#2 Chris Sparkman

Chris Sparkman
  • Members
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing, Fly Rod Building, Fly Tying, Mountain Biking, Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Weight Lifting, Woodworking

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:36 PM

Wow! That handle and reel seat are something special!  Well done.

#3 sstrength

sstrength
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:39 PM

Thank you kind sir! I'm still relatively new at this, but getting better each build. This is the first wood/ cork handle I've turned and am pretty pleased with it. Thanks again.

#4 mtgrizzly52

mtgrizzly52
  • Members
  • 340 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:24 PM

did you turn the handle as a wood/cork combination, or did you turn the wood first that glue on the cork and turn it. Very beautiful reel seat/handle combination! You should be proud of the entire rod as it looks great!

#5 sstrength

sstrength
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 12:07 PM

Let me start out by saying that I know very little about woodworking.  

I turned the wood first to just slightly bigger than the finished grip.  I then added the cork and shaped.  I was concerned the transition from cork to wood might not be clean because of the difference in hardness when sanding.  Was afraid I would remove too much cork and not enough wood.   This was the first one I tried, but may get some cheap wood and try the other route.  Again, this is what worked for me.  

Thanks again for the kind words.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users