repair fly rod insert

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,686 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 01:09 PM

A friend built a fly rod about 8-10 years ago at my class at church. He brought the tip by today to see if I could repair it. It is a 4 ft. tip and the break is about 14 inches from the female ferrule. I do have a piece of a tip that I can glue and insert into the lower section. Then I can slip the other part over the old tip. It is a clean break, fortunately. He suspects that some of the grandkids might have something to do with it as they have been fishing with him. Now- how much of the tip should I insert into each of the broken pieces? The tip section is about 14 inches long. Many thanks to all. Will epoxy it in place and wrap with black thread to hide the break.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#2 tedshuck

tedshuck
  • Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 10:31 AM

I made a repair like this with the tip section of a Winston Biix 6wt a few years ago and it has been fine since.  The tip section is noticeably stiffer than it was before, but works great as a streamer rod.  I used a solid piece of graphite rod as the interior splint in my rod and tapered it so I could get about one inch into either side of the break.  I epoxied it in and then wrapped over the entire splinted area, about 2 inches long.

Again, it will work, but the action of the rod will be stiffer.

Good luck with it,

Ted

#3 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,686 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 03:17 PM

Thanks. Will measure the repair piece and wrap. Friend is OK with a stiffer action.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: repair, fly rod, insert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users