Photo

p-touch labels lifting

6 replies to this topic

#1 dwwscran

dwwscran
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:36 PM

ok guys, I gave up on the labels for a while but I have some rods in the works that i really need labels on.  Practice as i might I don't like my results from hand labeling.

I clean the blank with alcohol and apply my label.  looks great until I apply the finish.  They keep lifting.  I have no issues with the decorative decals from Mud Hole or the MHX decals.  Oh and I'm using ProCote.  Have Had the issue with U-40 products as well.  I have had a few come out right.   What am I missing?

#2 Greg LaPolla

Greg LaPolla
  • Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:49 PM

I dont think the glue on the p-touch labels is good enough to keep the epoxy from pushing it up.  You can try some color preserver around the edges.  

I would also recommend really working the edges with a burnisher really well.  You might also try rounding the corners off.

I always make my labels in Adobe Illustrator and send them out to get printed, the cost is less than 5 bucks and that includes shipping.

#3 Steve C

Steve C
  • Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:36 PM

Many of us have had this problem at least once.  Burnish the label on to the blank completely.  Color preserver around the edges will help, as does Hard as Nails.   Be careful with the alcohol as it can work against the adhesive and cause the edges to lift, so let it completely dry before applying the label (if you can smell it, it's not completely evaporated). Wipe it down with a clean cloth and then lift any remaining lint off the blank with blue painter's tape, then apply the label.   I think the final finish generates too much heat when applied thick, so I apply several thin coats (cure between coats).  I routinely use ProKote over labels without issues so long as I clean the blank and remove any trace of the alcohol and then use color preserver or Hard as Nails on the edges.  I have tried U40 PG and don't like it on labels much, at least not by itself and usually put ProKote over it.  Might as well just stick with the two part stuff all the way through.  I know how it is...you apply ProKote and think you're good to go, but then a few hours later you notice it's lifted.  Try one of these techniques, keep an eye on it and if it lifts, pull it off and clean up the uncured finish with alcohol.  No big deal.  ProKote is pretty forgiving for the first few hours.  

#4 dwwscran

dwwscran
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:46 PM

Thanks Steve.  I'll give that a try on my next rod.  The CP might just be what worked for me on the few that did take, I just don't remember if I have tried that or not.

#5 Spiel

Spiel
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 06:48 AM

I've had lifting decal issues as well from old decal stock. A couple of coats of color preserver should solve it for sure.

#6 Louvar

Louvar
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 10:03 PM

if anybody is interested in this subject still, I realize this is an old topic but honestly I feel that I have mastered the "P-Touch". I've got dozens of cartridges 1/2" and 3/4"so many color combos. it took a few years but I no longer have lifting issues, sometime I can even match tape color  to the rod color with no visible label edges.ive seen a lot advice on this subject, "use cp, sand it, Elmers glue"whatever else dosent work or may have worked a couple of times, I've never heard of someone using this technique but for all I know nobody will even see this post, maybe they moved on, but I'll check back in a week when I get back from bluefin/yellowfin/dorado/yellowtail fishing out of San Diego and if I've had one reply, I will bestow upon all of you the secret knowledge of how to lay down the perfect p-touch tables

(.)(.)

#7 jfred17

jfred17
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 07:00 AM

Well now I have to know.

if anybody is interested in this subject still, I realize this is an old topic but honestly I feel that I have mastered the "P-Touch". I've got dozens of cartridges 1/2" and 3/4"so many color combos. it took a few years but I no longer have lifting issues, sometime I can even match tape color  to the rod color with no visible label edges.ive seen a lot advice on this subject, "use cp, sand it, Elmers glue"whatever else dosent work or may have worked a couple of times, I've never heard of someone using this technique but for all I know nobody will even see this post, maybe they moved on, but I'll check back in a week when I get back from bluefin/yellowfin/dorado/yellowtail fishing out of San Diego and if I've had one reply, I will bestow upon all of you the secret knowledge of how to lay down the perfect p-touch tables

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users