Photo

Red Fir Bark

14 replies to this topic

#1 rhossack

rhossack
  • Members
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:11 PM

Have some inquiries for some Red Fir Bark and most of what I have isn't worth a plugged nickle as it has dried so much that when you put a hole saw on the bark it turns to dust.

So I went out and got some more, put it in my wood drier and then did a test run with a pen ... with a chunk of the bark as a backdrop.

This particular pen was quite the challenge. There are 6 bark rings on that tube. The lighter colored wood is very similar to a grease pencil in that it peels away. Used lots of thin CA to stabilize it.
All the beetle tracks are filled with coffee grounds and any pits or low spots are filled with bark sawdust and or sawdust-coffee ground mix.

Three coats of thick CA to fill natural depression voids caused by the bark and turned and sanded. Filled again with thick CA three times before a level surface could be had.
“He who is without sin let them cast the first stone and make sure it’s a biggun, cause not many are going to come”.

#2 canerodscom

canerodscom
  • Members
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:22 PM

Cool.... reminds me of this:

Harry Boyd
[email protected]
http://www.canerods.com
Heat Treating Fixtures and Ovens
(318)435-5476 home phone
(318)282-1825 Shop/cell phone

#3 bigdan

bigdan
  • Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:02 PM

Very nice!!! A lot of work but it's worthed.

#4 kbproctor

kbproctor
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:13 PM

I really like the look. I use a lot of Ponderosa Pine bark and it works much the same.

I have thought about stabilizing with polyurethane under vacuum and letting it dry from there and then start working things with sandpaper, filling with CA as I go along.
Kevin

Colorado Custom Fly Rods, Ltd.

If your parents never had kids, chances are you won't either....

#5 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,502 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:42 PM

Very very nice Ron thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif

mcfr.jpg

“If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you'll spend your life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing things you don't like doing, which is stupid. Better to have a short life, doing what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=VPCp5xsP-vk

#6 rhossack

rhossack
  • Members
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:49 AM

QUOTE (canerodscom @ Jun 9 2012, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cool.... reminds me of this:

Thx Harry

That's what inspired me years ago ... when the wife brought home bags of large pieces of beauty bark ... Now we just have very large (2' x 2' or larger) pieces of Red Fir Bark all over the yard <LOL>
“He who is without sin let them cast the first stone and make sure it’s a biggun, cause not many are going to come”.

#7 rhossack

rhossack
  • Members
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:52 AM

QUOTE (bigdan @ Jun 9 2012, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very nice!!! A lot of work but it's worthed.

Thx Dan

#8 rhossack

rhossack
  • Members
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:03 AM

QUOTE (kbproctor @ Jun 9 2012, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I really like the look. I use a lot of Ponderosa Pine bark and it works much the same.

I don't have any of that close by that I'm aware of ... but the Bull Pine and Blue Pine I've used it very pitchy and resinous ... had better luck baking it in my toaster oven at 150º for extended periods of time.
I have thought about stabilizing with polyurethane under vacuum and letting it dry from there and then start working things with sandpaper, filling with CA as I go along.

I haven't tried poly but used to use acrylic + acetone. For the last year or so I've been using a methacrylate monomers, a professional grade heat cured resin for stabilizing and that cures 99.99% from liquid to solid by weight so there isn't any noticeable weight gain. However, that being said, my experimentation in stabilizing Red Fir has been a failure with this.

I don't know if it's a reaction of the esters with the Titebond III Glue I use on the face of the rings. I haven't tried stabilizing just cut rings.

#9 rhossack

rhossack
  • Members
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:03 AM

QUOTE (steeldrifter @ Jun 9 2012, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very very nice Ron thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif

Thanks Steve

#10 dmsirovica

dmsirovica
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:05 AM

impressive

#11 Rod O Rama

Rod O Rama
  • Members
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:39 AM

WOW bugeyes.gif simply WOW. How did I ever miss this post way back when?
http://www.renaissanceflyrods.com/
If I ever build the perfect rod, I'll retire.

#12 rhossack

rhossack
  • Members
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

QUOTE (Rod O Rama @ Mar 5 2013, 06:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WOW bugeyes.gif simply WOW. How did I ever miss this post way back when?

thank you sir ... maybe you'll like the grip I'm doing for a new 3wt bamboo blank with a Red Fir Burl insert ...

#13 Infinity Rod Creations

Infinity Rod Creations
  • Members
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:24 PM

"My drifts are so distant, I dial a 1 + (area code) when setting the hook!"

Handcrafted Float, Fly, Switch and Spey Fishing Rods
http://www.infinityrodcreations.com

#14 IFLYSW

IFLYSW
  • Members
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Fly fishing and rod building.

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:19 PM

Beautiful work.

Wes.

#15 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:48 AM

Nice pen! headbang.gif

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users