Red Fir Bark
Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:11 PM
So I went out and got some more, put it in my wood drier and then did a test run with a pen ... with a chunk of the bark as a backdrop.
This particular pen was quite the challenge. There are 6 bark rings on that tube. The lighter colored wood is very similar to a grease pencil in that it peels away. Used lots of thin CA to stabilize it.
All the beetle tracks are filled with coffee grounds and any pits or low spots are filled with bark sawdust and or sawdust-coffee ground mix.
Three coats of thick CA to fill natural depression voids caused by the bark and turned and sanded. Filled again with thick CA three times before a level surface could be had.
Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:13 PM
I have thought about stabilizing with polyurethane under vacuum and letting it dry from there and then start working things with sandpaper, filling with CA as I go along.
Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:42 PM
“If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you'll spend your life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing things you don't like doing, which is stupid. Better to have a short life, doing what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts
Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:49 AM
That's what inspired me years ago ... when the wife brought home bags of large pieces of beauty bark ... Now we just have very large (2' x 2' or larger) pieces of Red Fir Bark all over the yard <LOL>
Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:03 AM
I don't have any of that close by that I'm aware of ... but the Bull Pine and Blue Pine I've used it very pitchy and resinous ... had better luck baking it in my toaster oven at 150º for extended periods of time.
I haven't tried poly but used to use acrylic + acetone. For the last year or so I've been using a methacrylate monomers, a professional grade heat cured resin for stabilizing and that cures 99.99% from liquid to solid by weight so there isn't any noticeable weight gain. However, that being said, my experimentation in stabilizing Red Fir has been a failure with this.
I don't know if it's a reaction of the esters with the Titebond III Glue I use on the face of the rings. I haven't tried stabilizing just cut rings.
Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:16 PM
thank you sir ... maybe you'll like the grip I'm doing for a new 3wt bamboo blank with a Red Fir Burl insert ...
Reply to this topic
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users