Photo

carbon reinforcement instead of whipping?

14 replies to this topic

#1 ukcarper

ukcarper
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:33 AM

has anyone used carbon fibre ribbon and a resin system to hold on rod guides instead of whipping ,it would be interesting to hear your thoughts

#2 ukcarper

ukcarper
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:36 AM

this stuff

#3 ukcarper

ukcarper
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:50 AM

wont let me upload photos

#4 Tim Anderson

Tim Anderson
  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 12:22 PM

No reason it wouldn't work.  After all, thread (whether silk, nylon, polyester, etc.) finished with epoxy or varnish is a fiber-resin system.  Carbon-fiber wraps, even with the narrowest ribbon, might be hard to get uniform and, of course, they would be black.

Tim

#5 dkoenst

dkoenst
  • Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 06:02 PM

I have considered using carbon fiber tow to wraps guides, something like 1k is pretty easy to find. It could get expensive though and wouldn't provide enough benefit I figured...so I scrapped the idea.

#6 ukcarper

ukcarper
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 02:40 AM

its not that expensive at around £3 a meter i have had a go with 1k and couldn't get on with it so I'm going to try 3k ,they say 30% epoxy system to carbon is the ideal ratio ,the problem I've found is keeping the fibres in line and keeping them down with an even flatness ,electrical tape works sticky side up but I'm still getting an uneven finish ,early stages i suppose ,i will stick with it and try the 3k

#7 dkoenst

dkoenst
  • Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 04:04 PM

Expensive only because most of the tow I could find would have required me to purchase large quantities, in excess of several hundred yards.

#8 ukcarper

ukcarper
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 09:19 AM

have a look on eBay they sell it by the meter

#9 dkoenst

dkoenst
  • Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 06:34 AM

I saw.

#10 ukcarper

ukcarper
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 03:04 AM

The quality and weave of carbon reinforcement tape is not good enough, ive ordered from 4 different companys and every one had gaps over 1mm in it some even 2mm, so ive managed to source some A4 off cuts of carbon amarid which is what the armalites are made of, if all goes well these rods will seem almost seamless, pics to follow when i work out how to post them

#11 ukcarper

ukcarper
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 03:28 AM

Carbon amarid

#12 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:08 AM

I'm sure it would work but you are very, very limited in what can be done with wrapping.  Custom rod building is making a rod to customer's specifications.  My take on custom is each rod is one-of-a-kind, rather than the carbon copy (no pun intended) of the rods on the retailer's shelf.  BTW, I have seen old metal rods wrapped with thin wire.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#13 ukcarper

ukcarper
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 04:35 AM

These rods are far from being carbon copys infact im not aware of any rod maker that has used carbon or similar to hold on guides(maybe with good reason?) they have new reel seats and butt grips and guides, there old school blanks build in a less tradional way i really wish i could upload pictures on here

#14 Carl Z

Carl Z
  • Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 08:51 PM

I would field test the rods under load before shipping one to a customer.  Metal guides bend and flex more than the carbon.  I would worry about the carbon delaminating or developing stress fractures.  Maybe use tungston frame guides if it ends up being a problem.

It sounds like a neat idea. Let us know how it turns out.

#15 ukcarper

ukcarper
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 04:38 AM

These are my own rods so if they dont work out its only cost me my own time and materials

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users