Photo

century armalite mk1 13ft 3lb tc

2 replies to this topic

#1 ukcarper

ukcarper
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 02:02 AM

Hi all ,i have 3 of the above rods and am at the stage of adding the rod guides ,these are going to be distance casting rods ,i have a set of minima 4 guides 50mm butt ring -16mm tip eye
What i need to know is how do i go about spacing them along the blank for maximum casting capability ,playing action and line lay
Thanks in advance john

#2 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 08:11 PM

The blank manufacturer should have the recommended spacing.  Or, you could get another 13 foot rod and take measurements.  The problem is setting the reel seat in relation to the first guide.  Basically, I  tape the guides on the blank, run a line through the guides and put a load on the rod.  The line and the curve of the rod should be parallel with the line not touching the blank or a big space between the line and the blank.  Sometimes you have to add guides.  I have noted that most carp rods have either 5 or 6 guides plus the tip top.  I opt for an extra guide.  My Saxon Hexalite has six guides.  Hope this helps.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#3 ukcarper

ukcarper
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:29 AM

the original rods had 8 guides ,however this is typical of an old school rod and doesn't fit with what i have in mind ,thanks john i will mock them up and adjust as needed

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users