Failed attempt to implement wood into handle..
Posted 01 May 2018 - 04:48 PM
The butt section came out alright so far, I still need to glue some cork to it and take a little more off the but end..
The reel seat could have been better, it tapers a bit towards the tip so it's a little but of a loose fit but I think that I can live with that.
The accent for the foregrip is a fail in my book.. somehow it's not completely centered,I'm not sure what could have possibly caused that. The diamater is way too thin (that got away from me) and I just don't think it looks good. pictures to follow.. good thing I didn't waste too much expensive cork on it.
If anybody is curious I turned everything on a game call mandrel.. They come in multiple diamaters and there is a screw on one end that accepts a live center and allows you to expand the diamater in order to hold your work.
Pictures of my fail to follow. Hopefully I'll be posting some pictures of the finished product in a few weeks. Hopefully the first time I'm using wood in a grip won't be a complete fail.
Posted 29 June 2018 - 11:51 PM
I use the following method to accurately center the cork or wood rings for the grips. I place the rings into a recessed hole which holds the rings for my drill press to drill the center hole to the diameter of the blank at its final location. The rings are drilled to fit, glued and then the grip turned.
Reply to this topic
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users