Photo

pac bay rodsmith issues..

8 replies to this topic

#1 Refund

Refund
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 09:23 AM

I recently purchased the pacbay power wrapper with the upgraded chuck and I've been experiencing some issues trying to keep the rod in the chuck..

I spun one rod with the grip already glued (it was a one piece so I had no choice) and there was an extremely slight taper to the cork on the end and it would fall out after 20-50 rotations.. I eventually folded a piece of sand paper in half and made the chuck tight against the cork and that solved the issue..

now I'm on my second rod which is a surf rod, the end of the blank has shrink tube on it which I thought would give a little bit more of a positive grip on the blank.. it's the same story; within 20-50 rotations if the rod isn't backing out then the little pieces of rubber on the chuck are.

the tip is the same distance from the table as the butt and the rod supports aren't tight enough to be pulling on the rod as it rotates..

I'm running out of ideas.. I can't find any information other than an FAQ on pac's website..

I regret not getting the ALPs chuck, hah

#2 Greg LaPolla

Greg LaPolla
  • Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 09:50 AM

I don't use a power wrapper but I remember reading about this specific problem.  Maybe this might help

http://www.rodbuildi.../cat/all/page/1

#3 Bigdadyrods

Bigdadyrods

"Life is hard;It's harder for stupid people"John Wayne

• Super Moderators
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 11:43 AM

You got two sets of rubber grips for the chucks, which one are you using? The smaller set will work off if you tighten too much and spin the rod too fast. Try the set that fit onto the chucks further in or---take them off and just use the bare chucks.
Taping on some cork is good idea but you'll run into a problem with a small diameter rod blank and the chuck will not close down it. Tape will work too but find that swapping out the rubber grommets or taking them completely when working with bigger rods is the best. You don't need to turn it up to the fastest speed but you're sanding so I see why your doing that. Wait til you turn it up all the way with a heavy rod and the whole wrapper starts to shake!!!
Taking the 125th horse motor off and replacing it with a 1/5th will give you the torque without needing the speed.

Randy

#4 Refund

Refund
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 12:07 PM

I don't use a power wrapper but I remember reading about this specific problem.  Maybe this might help

http://www.rodbuildi.../cat/all/page/1

nice, I may have to try something like this for a temporary solution..

You got two sets of rubber grips for the chucks, which one are you using? The smaller set will work off if you tighten too much and spin the rod too fast. Try the set that fit onto the chucks further in or---take them off and just use the bare chucks.Taping on some cork is good idea but you'll run into a problem with a small diameter rod blank and the chuck will not close down it. Tape will work too but find that swapping out the rubber grommets or taking them completely when working with bigger rods is the best. You don't need to turn it up to the fastest speed but you're sanding so I see why your doing that. Wait til you turn it up all the way with a heavy rod and the whole wrapper starts to shake!!!Taking the 125th horse motor off and replacing it with a 1/5th will give you the torque without needing the speed.Randy

I'm actually not spinning it that fast; the grip was already spun on a drill.. I have it set slow enough to wrap, less than a quarter the way.

I'm terrified that I'll tighten the chuck too much and damage the rod, I feel like using the bare chuck would improve the odds of that happening.

I have been using the smaller set of rubber grips because the butt of the rod on there now is too thick to fit into the larger grips.

#5 jumper

jumper
  • Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 07:12 PM

Double check to make sure chuck is square with bed. Doesn't take much of an angle to cause this issue. Also I like to use a piece of scrap blank built up with tape for the chuck to grip. Slide other end into butt end of blank. I never lock chuck down on a blank or grip I'm working on!

#6 John A.

John A.
  • Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 01:19 PM

Mine has an Allen screw in the round grip plate that you use to tighten the chuck. Tighten the set screw and the problem goes away

John A.

#7 Refund

Refund
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 07:07 PM

I did try to assure the chick was square with the bed, I'll have to find my L-square when I get home just to be 100%

I wish I had scrap blanks..

I discovered that screw after the chuck fell off when it came out of the package. maybe I got a lemon..

#8 Captainpaddlefoot

Captainpaddlefoot
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:10 PM

I had the same problem.

Thor rod would slowly unscrew itself from the chuck.

It happens pretty easily, mine did it not long after I received it too.

99% sure your chuck is not square.
Thanks,
Captainpaddlefoot

#9 Cane River

Cane River
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:19 AM

I wish I had scrap blanks..

I also have no scrap blanks, so I bought some short wooden dowels in several different diameters. I select a dowel of the appropriate size, and slide it into the blank until it is tight. I then wrap tape around the other end of the dowel, and place this end in the chuck. Works well for me.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users