Jump to content


Member Since 16 Aug 2005
Offline Last Active May 17 2007 03:37 PM

Posts I've Made

In Topic: Glue

13 April 2007 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE(FlyDoctor @ Apr 13 2007, 02:58 PM) View Post

Do yourself a favor and at least run down to the hardware store for a new bottle of Titebond or one of the PU glues (Gorilla Glue, Ultimate Glue, Titebond PU). The stuff you mention sounds like a fast road to a failure. Considering how cheap glue costs, isn't the time you've invested worth that much?--Larry

Excellent advice. Titebond III is 5 bucks for an 8 oz bottle. Why risk all of your work for 5 bucks?

In Topic: I think I need new friends.

15 March 2007 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE(chip node @ Mar 14 2007, 01:40 PM) View Post

I too experienced a break in the same place only last year. It happened on a 4lb brown, I had caught him a month earlier during the sulfur hatch. This time I fooled him with a beetle before he broke it. The rod had been subjected to about four hundred trout and smallies. You could see where the fibers were sheard off and others that shattered as it let go. That was my third rod, and I too had removed more of those precious outer powerfibers instead of going up one ferrule size. It only takes one before you change your view for what size to use when matching ferrule to the cutoff dimensions. wink.gif

I'm not trying to tell very accomplished rodmakers how to set ferrules, but I have always gradually tapered the bamboo under the ferrule up to the full bamboo diameter right where the tabs end. The tab ends are thinned down to very thin to match the bamboo tapering up under them, so that externally the tabs look like they are flat and straight. If you sand or file away the bamboo so that you make a shoulder that the ferrule tabs butt up against you have a high stress point at the lower inside corner of the shoulder.


In Topic: I think I need new friends.

13 March 2007 - 12:33 PM

I'm wondering what size tippet your friend had on his leader. A reasonable tippet for a 5 weight rod should have broken before the rod did. For instance if I tied on a 0X tippet in anticipation of a big fish, I would start wondering if a 5 weight might be too light.


In Topic: A few observations on destructive testing.

13 March 2007 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE(canerodscom @ Mar 12 2007, 11:57 PM) View Post


Did you read the results of David Bolin's tests with impregnated rods vs varnished rods and weight gain from moisture absorption? He sent a note to the Rodmakers List today. David is quite precise and very methodical, and a smart guy on top of that. His findings were basically that the Ship N Shore impregnation method adds almost zero resistance to moisture re-uptake.


I just read that post. Interesting, I would have thought impregnating would have stopped water from soaking in. So there are even less advantages to impregnate, at least with Daly's Ship and Shore mix. Perhaps other impregnating processes work better.


In Topic: A few observations on destructive testing.

12 March 2007 - 02:53 PM

As much as I detest impregnated rods, I got to admit I would like to see how an impregnated rod would stand up to a week long soaking.