A different sort of project

1 reply to this topic

#1 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,502 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 05:40 PM

The following is what happens when a person with OCD builds something for themselves. I had been needing a desk for my PC because I had been just using a small shelf, so I built this. started out with a 4ft piece of glass from an old aquarium and about$40 in wood and a 4ft cloth flag/banner from one of my fav movies "The Expendables". Built the wood desk into basically a large shadow box with the glass sitting in a recessed channel lined with felt, then the banner 4" below it lit up with RGB LED's that can change to any color via remote control. Moved over a 40' led TV with 23" side monitors for dual monitors, illuminated keyboard, added my 2TB external HD loaded with tons of movies (yes one of them is The Expendables) , and even a folding cup holder for good measure.

misc%20001_zps6dpaayg2.jpg

misc%20001_zpslh0tk7ai.jpg

misc%20002_zps9dydusig.jpg

misc%20003_zpsqqdxwfhm.jpg

misc%20005_zpsflog4g5x.jpg

desk%20003_zpsirddrrqj.jpg

desk%20004_zpsdw5zfzjt.jpg

desk%20006_zpstxvun2kl.jpg

desk%20011_zpsvly0bxje.jpg

desk%20012_zpszbbbwuib.jpg

mcfr.jpg

“If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you'll spend your life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing things you don't like doing, which is stupid. Better to have a short life, doing what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=VPCp5xsP-vk

#2 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 05:12 PM

The lighting you show makes the whole project just jump out.  I found a book that has about two dozen projects using 2x4s.  That is the basic frame I used for my building table.  I used pieces of sink cutouts for the top  as I didn't have a chunk of glass or a flag. :(

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users