6 replies to this topic

#1 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,502 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 10:07 PM

less_zpsco4hm3rj.jpg

Pic from last week. Lost almost 200lbs over the past 4 yrs, been trying to get under 200lbs (started at 401lbs in 2012) since then, finally 196 now. First pic of me under 200 ;) Looking to get under 190 and then build back up a bit muscle wise. Been a long journey but getting there.....at 45 yrs old!

mcfr.jpg

“If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you'll spend your life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing things you don't like doing, which is stupid. Better to have a short life, doing what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=VPCp5xsP-vk

#2 Tim Anderson

Tim Anderson
  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 11:15 PM

Super congratulations!  As somebody who is much senior to you, I have seen so many friends go the opposite direction and suffer for it.  Exercise in a gym and walking or running or swimming can support what you have already achieved.  Please don't overdo it, your joints and back are no longer 25 :D .  Just like with the tortoise and the hare, slow (or moderately slow) and steady will win out eventually.

Once again, kudos!

Tim

#3 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,502 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 11:56 PM

Please don't overdo it, your joints and back are no longer 25

What really?? LOOL... I know man, I feel so old latey. My shoulders are burned out! lol So many times I want to lift weights or work out, yet my body says...nope! lol. I get ya man, wish my body was on the same plan as my mind ;)

mcfr.jpg

“If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you'll spend your life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing things you don't like doing, which is stupid. Better to have a short life, doing what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=VPCp5xsP-vk

#4 John A.

John A.
  • Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 09:14 AM

Congratulations Steve. I admire your self discipline and perseverance!!!

John A.

#5 Carl Z

Carl Z
  • Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 05:59 PM

You are an inspiration.  

And you look taller now too :-) 

#6 Gnossos

Gnossos
  • Members
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 08:00 PM

Medical researchers took a bunch of old people, (older even than you, Steve, but not taller ;) ), all of them over 65 and put them into an exercise program.  They were able to significantly add muscle mass and strength.  More recently, somebody looked at whether you have to lift really heavy weights to gain strength, as few reps with really heavy weights is the traditional approach to building muscle mass.  They found that you didn't have to do that.  More reps with lower weights worked just fine, and should be easier on joints.  The key point is that whatever recipe you follow, you have to keep going with your set until you can't do any more.  As long as you tire out the muscles (temporarily) they'll respond by getting stronger.

#7 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 06:32 AM

Congrats to you!  You quit smoking, lost a lot of weight and are rewarded with the satisfaction of doing it.  I'm fighting the Battle of the Bulge and it's harder now that the wife has retired.  Too many temptations as she is an outstanding cook.  First six months we were married, I gained 11 pounds.  The biscuits and gravy?

As for joints, I don't hang out in them places any more. :P

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users