perfect alignment of guides

17 replies to this topic

#1 Night-Life

Night-Life
  • Members
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:Bumping and Humping.

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:53 PM

Donít let the looks fool you this tool is not meant to take away your eye judgment this tool is used to line up your guides in a perfect line on the rod but it sure seems like allot of readers think it is so I just wanted to clear that up. To use this Lazar tool right you first need to line up your guides by sight on the rod in the strait EST line up that you can place the guides on the rod. The next step would be to mount the tool on you reel seat of the rod ana only then do you turn it on as the Lazar setup tool is not made to line up your guides in a perfect line up but to help one do so. Once you mount the tool on the reel Seat or rod and turn it on you will then be able to see the Lazar on the rod and the center of your guides and then see exactly were you need to make your corrections on the rod so this is used as a helper not a perfect line up tool.

Lazar Setup

Lazar Tool

Glenn McMurrian

#2 rhossack

rhossack
  • Members
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:37 AM

interesting ... surprised no one has comnmented on this ...

I'm out of town doing the "wife must go somewere" routine, so today we're taking a jet boat trip up Hell's canyon.

You make this yourself?

ďHe who is without sin let them cast the first stone and make sure itís a biggun, cause not many are going to comeĒ.

#3 BGreer

BGreer
  • Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:55 AM

I saw this set-up on a previous post and I made one up for myself.

It works pretty well, but I need to tweak mine a little bit. I have trouble sighting the guides at the end of a long rod.

#4 roadking

roadking
  • Members
  • 2,858 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:54 PM

My first thoughts were that most of the rods I build are not "lazer straight".

Mike

#5 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

QUOTE (roadking @ Jul 20 2013, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mike

I haven't had to use it in over 40 years of building, and will probably not start now

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#6 Night-Life

Night-Life
  • Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 02:24 PM

[quote name='rhossack' date='Jul 20 2013, 07:37 AM' post='212122']
interesting ... surprised no one has comnmented on this ...

I'm out of town doing the "wife must go somehwere" routine, so today we're taking a jet boat trip up Hell's canyon.

You make this yourself?

Yes I made this myself just for the hell of it as I was always seeing post asking if anyone ever made a Lazar guide system that works for guide setup,I myself do not even use it as it but do like to show it to my customers just for show sometimes. The real purpose of this tool is to show the exact point where the blank is bent so that one can get a better idea of were to start making a guide adjustment and it makes a big difference in the correct guide adjustment unlike what some people like to think. whistling1.gif

Use the exact same setup as in the Pic's and white plastic with mags and you will find that the Lazar will lite up all the way down a 9ft blank with no problem.

Glenn McMurrian

#7 Night-Life

Night-Life
  • Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:35 AM

QUOTE (roadking @ Jul 20 2013, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mike

It does not matter if the blank is Lazar straight or not because you must first put you guides on the rod as straight as you can and then you put the Lazar tool on the rod. What you will now see is where your guides need to be corrected and this tool makes it easy and fast and it beats the trial and error method that we all use anytime.

Glenn McMurrian

#8 vittonej

vittonej
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:20 PM

When you have to line up 75 plus rods a week this makes the guide line up a lot fast email me and I will send pics of my laser line up tool.

#9 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,688 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:58 AM

This would only work if the guides are placed on the straightest axis, wouldn't it? Me? I turn the rod with the guides in the 6 o'clock position and make sure that there is
an equal amount of guide on either side of the blank. I look at the rod from at least three angles.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#10 Night-Life

Night-Life
  • Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:45 PM

Glenn McMurrian

#11 GWP

GWP
  • Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:24 PM

I can see some good applications for this . If you build on straightest access it will help with that also. I've built on and off for twenty six years and never use to use a drier, power wrapper, power epoxy mixer and a plethra of other tools I use now and I got a laser liner ordered....
Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish!!

#12 Night-Life

Night-Life
  • Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:45 PM

Glenn McMurrian

#13 GWP

GWP
  • Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:59 PM

Laser liner, most worthless tool I ever purchased. Wouldn't fit fly rod seats without thinning it way down. Not only aren't blanks laser straight, rod wrappers aren't either. Back to the old method that has served me well, reflection on the blank.

Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish!!

#14 elderbarry

elderbarry
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:01 PM

Don't know how I ever survived just using the "spine finder"!

#15 Night-Life

Night-Life
  • Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 01:22 PM

I have not been to this thread for a long time but it seam's like most builders on here seam to think that this tool will not work because a blank is not laser strait. With this tool it does not matter too much if the blank is perfectly strait or not because any laser tool will shoot off to one side if the blank is not strait. This tool is only made to give you a good idea of where to line up your guides on the rod. The thing that give's this tool the edge over the lazer tool sold by MudHole is that it can be adjusted to the blank left or right and it can also be moved up the Rod but the one sold buy MudHole does not give you this option and it is just fixed in place.

Glenn McMurrian

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users