Photo

Let's Poke Some Fun at Ourselves

20 replies to this topic

#1 rrjansen

rrjansen
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:04 AM

Thought it might be fun to lighten things up a bit if folks would post some examples of some boo-boos we have made or odd stuff that has occurred while building a rod.  For example:

One time I couldn't figure out why my first coat of epoxy was not drying after a full night on the dryer.  Turns out I used a double dose of resin instead of the 50/50 mix with hardener.  Had to wipe it all off of course and start anew with more clearly labeled bottles!

Secondly, I was anxious to bring a just finished rod to a class of new builders and when I opened the door to the classroom the door closed on the tip and snapped it right off.  So, with a red face, we had a session on repairing a broken tip!

Who's next?

#2 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,500 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 12:12 PM

With as many rods as I have built I can assure you there probably isn't a single mistake I haven't made at some point over the year :ph34r:

Lets see... Have built a rod and completely finished it only to see the rear hood for the seat still laying in the reel seat drawer.

Have done the two parts of resin finish just as you did too.

This one is a good one......Had a 4 pc blank some years ago where I ended up building the seat & grip on the 3rd section and not the 4th, that one was a fun one to redo :blink:

mcfr.jpg

“If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you'll spend your life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing things you don't like doing, which is stupid. Better to have a short life, doing what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=VPCp5xsP-vk

#3 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 12:43 PM

I remember you on that seat on the third section

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#4 Carl Z

Carl Z
  • Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 12:49 PM

Connecting the rod drying motor to a socket attached to the light switch and then turning the lights out for the evening as I left there room.  I've done this more than once.  I finally rewired the outlets so that doesn't happen any more.

Having the rod fall of the dryer.

On sliding band reel seats, having the sliding band on backwards so the taper goes the wrong way.

As a hobbyist, I will get my rod building time in when I can.  Sometimes it is weeks between when I get the finish applied to two different sections of a rod.  I've forgotten which finish I applied (Threadmaster vs KlassKote or Urethane Spar vs oil based spar) to one section and use a different finish on the second section.

#5 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,686 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 01:58 PM

I was doing a rod building class at church as part of our Outdoor Ministry.  I was using a kit with a 5 minute epoxy for the reel seat and grip.  I mixed the two parts and started to put the rod together.  The epoxy started to set up and it was with lots of weight on the grip that I was able to get it seated fully.  Another 30 seconds would have been most embarrassing!  That was my only misteak in rod bilding.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#6 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,500 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:13 PM

I remember you on that seat on the third section

It's funny looking back on it now....but wasn't at the time lol

mcfr.jpg

“If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you'll spend your life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing things you don't like doing, which is stupid. Better to have a short life, doing what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

#7 Carl Z

Carl Z
  • Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 06:09 PM

Do we even count upside down reel seats or reel seats that slide back due to air pressure? 

If there is one thing I've learned in rod building, it is to stop and clean up your mistake as soon as possible.  It's not going to get better over time.

The second thing I've learned is how to hide my mistakes :)

#8 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,500 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:24 AM

That was my only misteak in rod bilding.

And here I always thought getting into rod building was your biggest mistake! ...hehe.

mcfr.jpg

#9 BGreer

BGreer
  • Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:13 AM

After applying finish to two rod sections, I have tripped on the drying motor's cord, knocking the entire setup onto the floor.

When it happened I just about crapped my pants.

I got amazingly lucky and everything could be touched up right on the spot.

#10 phg

phg
  • Members
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:33 AM

...Yeah, I remember leaving out the sliding hood when assembling the reel seat on the rod.  That was when I learned how to remove a reel seat without damaging the grip....

The one that bothered me the most was on a 2 piece rod, where I failed to line the reel seat up with the stripper.  I got some more practice at removing a reel seat without damaging the grip.

#11 River Rat

River Rat
  • Members
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Fly fishing, bamboo rod making, canoeing, educating kids about the natural world.

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:57 AM

Well let's see.....  I've messed up the epoxy mix making a 1:1 ratio instead of 1:2 with Epon and heat-setting didn't entirely solve the problem.  The rod was to have a splice joint rather than a ferrule...and then I lost track of which rod I'd made the mistake on.  Fortunately it was one I kept and so, when the splice began to separate, I installed a ferrule.

And then there was the time I got a strip turned wrong while gluing and didn't discover it until the glue had set.  Surprisingly, it didn't seem to affect the rod's performance.

And then there was the time when I didn't have the right size reamer for the ferrule I was turning and had to wing it by making the female two sizes larger than the ferrule size called for.  That turned out OK but there was a lot of head scratching along the way.

I've also learned that you can't cover large areas of a bamboo rod with epoxy because it tends to pull away from the corners.

And the list goes on but those are the most immediately come to mind.  I remember reading in my initial research before beginning to make bamboo rods that there was a steep learning curve and boy was that right.

Cliff Parmer

If it's worth your time to do, it's worth doing to the best of your ability.

#12 JasonB

JasonB
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:11 PM

I too, have done a few of these.  Given the low number of rods that I have made compared to some of you, I'm embarrassed to say just how many of those mistakes sound familiar!  Another one I have done, which I'm sure (hope?) that I'm not the only one:  failing to epoxy the reel seat on well enough, and ending up with a reel seat that rotates on the blank  :crying:

Poor placement of a rod support stand while drying epoxy once led to a very rough start to my day the next morning.  The velcro loop padding had gotten twisted into the epoxy and wrapped around the first guide below the tip top.  Managed to slice my finger badly with a razor while trying to cut it, and the guide from the blank... all this before coffee even.  Just plain wrong!

JB

#13 brendantm130

brendantm130
  • Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:02 PM

Spelling my brothers name wrong on a rod I built for him. Kept doing the lettering over until it looked nice and neat.......and spelled wrong.

Brendan

#14 JasonB

JasonB
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 10:47 AM

Spelling my brothers name wrong on a rod I built for him. Kept doing the lettering over until it looked nice and neat.......and spelled wrong.

Ouch!  I think that might take the cake right there.  I hope you caught the mistake before you gave it to him?

#15 rrjansen

rrjansen
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 11:35 AM

These were great!  Keep em coming!  I just recalled another - fortunately not my mistake.  I helped a friend do a rod for his wife for their anniversary..  I use wooden handles which can be engraved.  When he gave it to her, she informed him quite sternly that he got the date wrong!.  We were able to split the handle and got it off, then replaced it with another one, with the correct date!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users