Photo

Hello from Minnesota

4 replies to this topic

#1 Jaredj

Jaredj
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:37 AM

Hello everyone. I am new to all of this and just wanted to introduce myself. I live in SE MN and have been looking at getting into wrapping rods for years. I finally decided to just pull the trigger as a way to help me quit smoking. I am sure I am not going to be asking anything new so I apologize if the answer is already out there and I asked again. 

Where is the best way to but a few blanks at a time for cheap? I don't want to drop a ton when I am just learning. 

Is there any types of thread I should be avoiding? I saw a youtube video that said nylon frays bad. 

Thank everyone in advance for any and every tip you are able to share. If I get good enough at this I would like to give the rods I wrap as gifts to family and friends. 

Jared 

#2 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,686 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 12:17 PM

Welcome to the forum.  I wouldn't buy a bunch of blanks to start until you are sure that you are going to continue building rods.  Best way is to buy a kit- contact Bingham Enterprises, one of the forum sponsors.  Karen will help you get started.  Great folks to work with on rods and building components.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#3 Jay McKnight

Jay McKnight
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 03:46 PM

Welcome to the site Jaredj. I kicked the habit myself January 3rd, 2015, half way through a Marlboro light, i put it out, and said I'm done. Have not and will not touched one since. Personally I'd buy the blank/materials for one rod at a time, the shipping isn't that tough on a guy who's saving $60-$70 bucks a week on the cigarettes he's not buying. I use nylon thread, and I'll bet 90% of the rest of the guys on here use it as well, with no fraying issues.

#4 Bigdadyrods

Bigdadyrods

"Life is hard;It's harder for stupid people"John Wayne

• Super Moderators
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 04:33 PM

Welcome

Oh and as for youtube---I've seen a ton of idiots on there call themselves "rod builders", when in fact they know nothing of how to do it right. Some are very good. Not everything on youtube is factual.
As for nylon thread, use it. Only buy thread made for rod building,not sewing.

Randy

#5 johnrun

johnrun
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 11:56 PM

Welcome from another new guy.  For inexpensive blanks I've been happy with the ones from Ye Olde English Fly Shop.  Price is good and I've been really happy with the rods I've build from them.  

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users