Photo

Rod building difficult

12 replies to this topic

#1 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,686 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 11:17 AM

Difficult to say the least.  About two weeks ago, I got up and I couldn't bend my right thumb.  When I was able to bend it, it popped like it was dislocated.  Waiting on a call from the Dr. to see what he is going to do.  It has gotten worse and today is a stiff as the butt section of a flippin' stick.  Ever try to wrap a guide without a thumb?  Not recommended for anyone without patience.

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#2 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,500 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 11:42 AM

Human body amazingly adapts to issues. You probably would not believe it because of how many things I do with my hands without issues...but I have zero feeling in my left index finger and it is in a permanent 20 degree bend. Been that way for over 20 years because I broke it pretty badly when I was younger and never had it properly set by a doctor. When I wrap rods, fish, type on a computer etc etc my left finger does not get used because of that. Ive adapted to it for so long though I don't even notice it these days.

mcfr.jpg

“If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you'll spend your life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing things you don't like doing, which is stupid. Better to have a short life, doing what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=VPCp5xsP-vk

#3 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,686 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 05:37 PM

Ouch!  I won't ask what you were doing to break that finger. <_<  It's hard to grip thread when wrapping as I have no grip strength.  Thought about using hackle pliers or forceps.  Going to the VA Monday for an X-ray then go from there.  Hopefully, the Dr. will prescribe daily doses of ice cream. :D  Have a good one and a good weekend!

John T.

Marriage is like a deck of cards- in the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  In the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

#4 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,500 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 06:20 PM

It was due to my own stupidity of youth. Back in my younger days I was a heavy drinker as well as bouncer at a local country bar in the early 1990's. Broke it riding the mechanical bull where it broke and twisted at the same time breaking the bone and damaging some nerves.

I'm older, wiser, and don't drink anymore these days, but will always have this as a reminder of my wilder stupid days.

mcfr.jpg

“If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you'll spend your life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing things you don't like doing, which is stupid. Better to have a short life, doing what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

#5 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,686 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 08:02 AM

Man, I'm glad I never did anything stupid like that. Yeh, right?  There is a saying:  We get too old too soon and too smart too late. 

Basically, I'm going to have to do some things in reverse.  Fortunately I'm ambidextrous in most ways.  Have a good weekend.  SWMBO is somewhat sympathetic as she has arthritis in her thumbs.

John T.

#6 John A.

John A.
  • Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 09:10 AM

Hi John

Sounds like a condition called "Trigger Thumb". I had the same thing several years back. With me, it would sort of come and go but finally got to the point where I had surgery to correct it. Been fine ever since.

John A.

#7 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,686 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 12:23 PM

Hey, John, going to the VA for an X-ray tomorrow AM.  Hopefully, it won't be serious and really not looking forward to surgery.  It is really a PITB and not in the thumb to get anything done.  Having to switch to just about everything left-handed as the thumb had no gripping power.

John T.

#8 John A.

John A.
  • Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:55 AM

Hope the news is good!

John A.

#9 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,686 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 03:01 PM

Thanks.  Should have something in about three days after the Dr. looks at the X-rays.

John T.

#10 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,686 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 01:21 PM

Well...........finally got a reply from the VA.  It was described as "severe osteoarthritis."  Same thing that the wifey has had for several years.  Now we have even more in common.  I just finished a rod and, so far, it's not a real issue.  My only concern is the condition popping up on other fingers. 

The joys of growing old!  Right, Ron? ^_^

John T.

#11 Goduster

Goduster
  • Super Moderators
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 02:37 PM

Couldn't tell ya John, I am busier than ever. Haven't had to have anything overhauled yet. 

Ron Weber
Southwest Custom Rods

www.southwestcustomrods.com

Your Lemke reel seat dealer
http://www.southwest...l-seat-hardware

Authorized  Snake Brand guide dealer

#12 John T.

John T.
  • Members
  • 5,686 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 02:52 PM

Good to hear that, Ron.  I'm about due for an oil change and tune up.  One thing about these older models, hard to find original parts for them.  Have a good one!

John T.

#13 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

Administrator/River Rat

• Members
  • 10,500 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 02:55 PM

Haven't had to have anything overhauled yet. 

That's because that model hasn't been in production since 1842 :P

mcfr.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users