Beginner rod building

3 replies to this topic

#1 mcfly

mcfly

><> ><> ><> ><> ><>

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 02:33 PM

I must say I read OSD's posts and they were great but, I've still got some more questions.

Finding the spline...

How easy is it when building your rod to miss the spline? From the rod building posts it sounds like you have a general idea. Is close good enough or do you have to be right on it?

Rods for beginners...

What quality rod should a beginner start with? By that I mean if I pick up a nice sage and wrap it is it possible to correct mistakes before finishing the rod or should I go for the cheapest thing I can and practice?

Thanks in advance.

To avoid situations in which you might make mistakes may be the biggest mistake of all. - Peter McWilliams

#2 Bamboo

Bamboo
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 04:29 PM

McFly-

Spining a rod is not as difficult as it sounds. Once you do it, I think you'll be happy with your ability to get real close. Even if you don't, it's not that big a deal. Most if not all rod manufacturers skip this step completely. It's been more touted as a benefit of 'custom' built rods and I'd venture to guess that most people aren't good enough casters to ever notice a difference.

As for the quality of the rod you should start with, that's entirely up to you. Rods can be repaired so you can redo most anyhing you have the patience to deal with. For myself, once you start with the epoxy, it's permanent and I don't want to rework anything. Wraps, on the other hand, are an easy rework. I think for most people, each successive rod will show an improvement in workmanship. For me, starting with a cheaper rod gave me the freedom to experiment and make mistakes without being worried about it.

Just my .02

Good luck and don't be afraid to get started.

Bamboo

#3 Lunk

Lunk
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 04:40 PM

I'm pretty new at this, and I would agree with Bamboo completely. As to what to build to start...My first two rods are built on low end IM6 blanks, and both perform so much better than any of my 'store bought' rods. I'd start out that way and once you are comfortable, then build that rod of a lifetime.

#4 dontheo

dontheo
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 02:46 PM

I start by spining each section and then assembling the rod and spining again. I try to be as precise as possible but in reality I don't think it matters all that much.

For your first Rod I would by a kit with all the parts, pieces, and chemicals included. Try Hook and Hackle's web site. The have a decent rod kit at a real good price. They also have good building instructions right on the site you can print out.

The Don
The USS Indianapolis, Lest we forget:

1196 Men went into the water, 319 came out. "No Chief, I'll never wear a life jacket again"

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users